Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2003, 01:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cloudy Tank

well i set my 55gal tank up and filled it with water it was clear untill i added the salt it has like a white haze x4 days is this normal i've allways had fresh water tanks when you first fill them they're cloudy but clear up in a few hours.

I have a whisper 60 gal filter and all the material is new
is there a clearing chemical?
all my water tests were good but the PH was borderline and the salt content is a lil high

thanks for all your help

Old 08-06-2003, 02:26 AM   #2
steve-s

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com

Could be a combination of the salt (sand if recently added) as well as the low GPH in the tank. The whisper 60 is only 270 GPH rating when empty. Once it has media, the flow will be reduced a fair amount. Do you have additional PH in the tank as well?

Good water rotation starts at 6x rotation per hour and that is considered on the low side. Ideally you will have to determine the total GPH based on the type of tank you will end up having but for the most part you should try bringing that up to 400+ GPH.

The low ph could again be from the salt but low GPH and possibley having the tank covered would affect it as well.

Any additional info you could provide about the set up would help.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-06-2003, 04:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

there will be an additional filter added this week end another 60gal filter so hopefully that should do for now. the tank is covered with the hood that came with the tank. its plastic with plunty of venliation. GPH?? i dont know what that is i know what PH is. and if your asking your self why i putting another 60gal on its because my 120gal tank was just set up this weekend and i have two canister filters but one stopped working so my buddy gave me his but i'm getting a new canister filter so that will go there lol, :P FREE
Old 08-06-2003, 11:37 AM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by arehe001
the tank is covered with the hood that came with the tank. its plastic with plunty of venliation.
If it's covered with a sheet of plastic/acrylic, how is it well ventilated? Most of these types of covers prevent proper aeration in the tank's water.

If you "hover" the mouse over the highlited red text area's in a post, it will tell what the terms used mean. GPH stands for "gallons per hour" or the amount of water a pump, powerhead or filter can move water. It also refers to the total amount of water rotation in the tank.

If you where to be asked the GPH of the tank, it would be the combined power of all the water movement apparatus in/on the tank.

How is the tank set up other than the one HOB?

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-06-2003, 03:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sorry when i put my mouse over the highlited area i just got a ? guess i didnt leave it there long enough lol. as far as the lid its a hood that is 2" higher than the tank and is punched out in the back for ventliation trust me ventilation isn't the problom. what do you mean by the tank set up other than HOB there will be two of them and some power jets other than that what do i need?

Thanks
Tony
Old 08-06-2003, 06:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think running some carbon might help clear up the water.....right???
Old 08-06-2003, 10:15 PM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by arehe001
what do you mean by the tank set up other than HOB there will be two of them and some power jets other than that what do i need?
I meant what other water moving equipment would there be beside the HOB, I missed the bit about the second one. Just make sure there is ample surface water movement and they are spaced far enough apart to allow the whole tank to get circulated properly. I think after being in operation for a bit of time an additional PH may be needed. HOB 's have a habit of slowing down quite quickly as detritus accumulates but that is something you can determine later.

The carbon will help as two11devan has suggested but I think the Whisper model already takes care of that. It should actually clear soon enough on it's own.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-07-2003, 03:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

When i got home the tank is still cloudy, and your right about the whisper haveing carbon. It just seems its kinda milkey could that be an alage bloom?? do they make a chemical to clear.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:37 AM   #9
steve-s

It will not be an algae bloom in such a new tank. If you used LS it could be bacterial die off. Is there anything else in the tank?

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-07-2003, 02:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

no sand just gravel made for salt water tanks, a coral bloom, and some regular aquriam assories bought fromm the pet store.

What about any clearing chemicals??

T&hanks again for all your help

Tags
cloud, cloudy, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com