Clown fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can you have two clowns but different species? I have a false percula now so if I got a true percula would they hurt each other if the true percula were smaller?

I have a maroon and a black and white together. The maroon is a lot bigger. I think it is more a hit or miss type of situation. Just make sure the new one is as small as u can get and that might help. It did with me.

Under normal situations, unless given lots of room, one will kill the other. This is sometimes even true with just adding a second of the same type of clown. They are damsels..

Best tried in a large tank and introduced at the same rime but I still wouldn't try it.

I added a percula and a occeleris (mispelled). They were both labeled as occelerris at my lfs, i found out one was a true perc and took the O back... They both did get along great too..

Afterwords i found a Small true perc and added him in my 55 along with my established one. They both get along, swim together and the bigger one shows dominance now and then but after 6+ months they are both ok.

I dont know if im lucky tho..

Just make sure one clown is SMALLER. I think it will work for you.

I had 3 in a 60 gal and they didnt bother eachother 1 bit. 1 was b and w the other 2 were percula, but they came down with something and i couldnt save them. (you gave me some advice on that thread i started). Anyway idk if they were stressed from competion or what induced the illness, but they got along fine while they lasted and they were all the same size. I plan on doing 2 or 3 more, but not until i get to the bottom of any issue in my tank. Im waiting at least 8 weeks to see if the other fish have any issues first.

Last edited:
Mixed clowns tanks USUALLY do fine if it is a larger tank and the clowns are added at the same time. Clowns are over glorified damsels that are aggressive and will battle to the death over territory. In my 220 I have one ORA mocha and one true perc. That's it for clowns.

This tank is small (56 gallons) so I think I will stay with the same breed and a smaller one when added. If I still had my big tank I might be more adventurous but I don't want to do it at the expense of killing it in my smaller tank. Boo! Guess I will wait for this little 20 gallon I have cycling to finish and add the one clown to it and look for a pair for my larger one! I swear if I could have all clown fish and quite a few I would! I love them! LOL! Thank you for all of your advice!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom