Clown fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovefishys

Aquarium Advice Activist
We have started another 75 gallon aquarium. We want to put Ocellaris clown fish in it, Can we have more than 2 in there? We want at least 2 anemones. What other suggestions for fish? We are trying out a sand less bottom.

I wouldnt recommend it. There's lots of possibilities in a tank that size I'd defo look at some dwarf angles, foxface, maybe a toby puffer. Clowns can go with a lot of stuff so would deepened if you have your eye on another fish?

We are only set on the clown fish and nothing else at this point. We already have a predator tank so we want to stay away from that side. :)

I'm following along as I have a 75g with clowns also & want to see what members here would recommend as tank mates :)

We got the anemone! We will get 2 clown fish in a few weeks.

Attachments

• image-2964231727.jpg
    image-2964231727.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 142
as far as multiple pairs of clowns, again not really recommended, but it can happen. The skunks are the most peaceful with other clowns. you could get pink or orange.

I heard as long as you put all the Clowns in together they should be fine, it's when you add more later that it becomes a problem.

Maybe if you add all the Clowns you want in at once they will be fine together?

My only concern would be the Shock to the Bio-Load.

I would suggest a Six Line Wrasse and a Flame Angel. :p That was what I was going to do but I got two Clowns for my tank. I am still adding a Six Line Wrasse, but not the Flame Angel.

I wanted a Flame Angel and everyone said it would be fine in a 29 gallon, but I didn't want to risk having it and not upgrading in the future. Since you got a 75 already, I would get one!!

Clown fish are cool, but their swim pattern is just different. They don't swim a lot, so if you want something that is going to swim and give your tank more life, I would stick to just a pair of clowns and add some other things. :p

baron1282 said:
Clown fish are cool, but their swim pattern is just different. They don't swim a lot, so if you want something that is going to swim and give your tank more life, I would stick to just a pair of clowns and add some other things. :p

I agree and disagree. While they may not swim from side wall to side wall every minute of the day, they do swim quite alot and they are always out in front. Out of my 7 fish i see the clowns the most.

I agree because i think you should definitly add other fish to a 75 gallon tank. This is because soon you will get over your obsession with clown fish and realize that there are many many other reef safe fish that are actually much cooler.

I would not risk more than one pair of clowns. The odds are not good that having more than a pair would work in a tank that small. I've heard of multiples of one kind working, but in much larger tanks. The anemones should wait until the tank is established (and make sure you have proper lighting).

As for tank mates...I'd got with a smaller Tang (Kole, Tomini, etc), a dwarf angel (whatever you like, as there are a few that would work), maybe a Foxface and some Chromis.

Cool nem! What clowns are u looking at?

What type of clown fishes do you have Andrews pistols?

I have 2 Clarkii clowns :) and other fish too, but only 2 clowns & 3 other fish (one to be moved to my 150 when it's up) so I'm looking to add reef safe less aggressive fish to the bunch, that's why I subscribed to this thread :)

I'd also like to say that my clowns are constantly swimming around, the one sticks close to the nem but I often see it venture to the other side :)

Well you could check out this site call live aquaria and see what would go good with a reef tank

Correct me if im wrong but you could do a pair or different clowns as long as they are from the same family i believe! Say a snowflake and a black and white clown are both technically ocellaris clowns!

Correct me if im wrong but you could do a pair or different clowns as long as they are from the same family i believe! Say a snowflake and a black and white clown are both technically ocellaris clowns!

True but I believe op meant they want multiple pairs

Wow! I should get on here more often! I didn't expect so many replies. We have had this 75 gallon up for nearly a year. About 2 months ago we started another 75 gallon, We moved our predator fish over to the new 75 gallon. So hopefully I remember all the questions that were asked and answer them all. We now have in the "older" established community tank, a bubble tip anemone (which is doing amazing!), 2 Ocellaris clown fish, 1 Urchin and 1 Condy anemone. We did have 1 yellow clown goby. He was acting off so we removed him, he passed away :(

When we were at the LFS I fell in love with a Lunar Wrasse but we were told he will eat everything! So our snails and corals would disappear with him. Otherwise, we have now set our eyes on a Flame angel (added last) and a 6 line wrasse. We want a lot more than just those two :)

What do you guys think about a clown tang? Any experience? I know that they require a min of 250 gallons. That won't be a problem. The LFS has a young one, that is so beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom