Clown fish and false clown.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rchbn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My girl friend bought me two clown fish and the LF store told here they were the same species and I'm questioning that as one is bright orange and the other smaller one is less bright orange closer to a rust color but not quite that dark.

So is one a male and one female and that explains the difference in size and color or are they not the same species?

Thanks for any help, Rich

90 gallon salt
90 pounds of live rock
sump.

Can you get a pic? As far as I know there are no real color variances between male and female clowns.
Sometimes fish will change colors depending on stress, night/day time, feeding...

Can you get a pic? As far as I know there are no real color variances between male and female clowns.
Sometimes fish will change colors depending on stress, night/day time, feeding...

Sure here are a couple of picts. the shade is just a little more red than orange for the little one. This doesn't show it as dramiticly as when your looking at them in real light.

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_1162.jpg
    IMG_1162.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1164.jpg
    IMG_1164.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 91
I missed that they were two different clowns. So their colors will be slightly different.
It's hard to tell from those pics (need to see the black on their rings) but they look to be O. Clowns.

I missed that they were two different clowns. So their colors will be slightly different.
It's hard to tell from those pics (need to see the black on their rings) but they look to be O. Clowns.

Well they are supposed to be percula...and not two different clowns they are supposed to be two percula and I'm new so the color difference has got me confused. The little one looks a little more brownish near the top and not quite as orange as the other one that is VIVID orange!

Thanks for the help, Rich

Last edited:
They both look the same to me. And just a guess, but I'd vote on Ocellaris.

Yes they don't have a black stripe next to the white lines so they must be the same? Also noticed they are doing the bobbing dance where they go up and down centered around their stomach, could this be a courtship dance perhaps? Or just wishful thinking on my part??

Thanks for the help, Rich

PS which one has the extra top spine?

Back
Top Bottom