Clown fish at top of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boreddome

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 clown fish and since the day I got them (6 months ago) they been at the top of the tank. Is there any reason why?

Is your heater at the top do you have any other ish with them

Hearers are in the sump only other fish are 1 small damsel a tiny bit smaller than the 2 clown and a scooter Blenny. It's a 90 g tank I'd that amtters

And it's not like they stay in one spot at the top of the tank they move all over but they want swim deeper than 3 inches

Maybe check the temperature at the top compared to the bottom also are they always away from the damsel as that could be harassing them to keep them away

We got the damsel a couple months after the clown fish. But I will put another thermometer at the bottom of the tank. Mine right now is at the top

I am having the same problem. I checked the water temp at the bottom of my tank, it's at 78 degrees. Right where they like it.

I do have some other fish in my tank. A Six Line Wrasse, Flame Hawkfish and a Blue Spotted Puffer. Yet my Clown was the first fish in and had two weeks on his own, did not leave the top of the tank. Still does not leave the top of the tank. He eats well and sleeps fine, so I am not too worried.

My clown goes to the top left part of my 55g near my powerhead. He goes there at night...guess he sleeps up there. When the lights go on, he goes and plays around in the tank.

What about oxygen. Is there enough oxygen or maybe they like the flow if there's any at the top.

See I thought that too Obscurereef, but all my other fish are swimming fine down in the bottom without ever coming up. I got good water movement on top and an open top tank. My Clown is still on top.

Boreddome, I wouldn't be worried as long as it's eating and swimming fine. I was worried about my Clown until I read many online reports of other peoples Clowns doing the same thing. I guess it's just what they do sometimes! I don't know why and it is kind of disheartening being I want to see him swim the tank.

Kinda disappointed that they dont really swim around that much.

Mine used to do that until I added 5 chromis. Now they all play together. Well only 3 chromis now. Me puffer ate the other 2.

My clown swims within a foot perimeter of my bubble coral. I believe it hosted it. The only time it moves away is during feeding swims to the top when I'm near the tank and then hangs around right infront of the bubble and catches the food as it gets blown his way. I wish he would explore the tank as well. Mine's a 55g. I think the clowns just pick a spot they like and hang out there until further notice.

Back
Top Bottom