Clown fish in a fluval edge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait54

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is this possible I would love to do this but can you?

I don't want my fish to suffer. Ive seen it many times on google and YouTube.

Is there really a small enough clown for this tank??

Thanks.

Sharkbait54 said:
Is this possible I would love to do this but can you?

I don't want my fish to suffer. Ive seen it many times on google and YouTube.

Is there really a small enough clown for this tank??

Thanks.

How big is the edge? Im guessing under 12 gallons, so i really wouldnt

6 gallons I suppose it's not doable . Bummer I'll have to wait till I t 30g tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, my lfs has a pico reef on their front desk with a tiny clown in it, I think it's like a 4 or 6 gal, it's incredibly small.
That said, it can be done, but I don't think the fish would thrive in that environment.

I'm considering putting one in a 12 with a firefish and shrimp, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable putting a clown in anything less than that.
Just my .02 from the research I've done...

Yeah your right I don't want my fish to be stressed out all the time with a tiny tank.

Thanks for the input guys.

crister13 said:
Just wait for the 30g. Itll look GREAT in there.

Will do! I'll have to wait till I buy my house but it'll be well worth it. Thanks for the honest advice guys.

Sharkbait54 said:
Will do! I'll have to wait till I buy my house but it'll be well worth it. Thanks for the honest advice guys.

Thank you for listening to it!:)

I've had a clown fish in a 6gal Fluval Edge for 6months now. He's done great!!! He was tiny when I bought him and he's prolly grown half his little body size during that time. From my stance...it is possible and will work!!! Good Luck!!!

coralAnn said:
I've had a clown fish in a 6gal Fluval Edge for 6months now. He's done great!!! He was tiny when I bought him and he's prolly grown half his little body size during that time. From my stance...it is possible and will work!!! Good Luck!!!

Yes it is POSSIBLE, but there is no way your clown is happy in a tiny tank like that. I just bought another clown and he is almost full size and honestly, i would never ever put him in a tank under 15 gallons.

I feel bad for clownfish, many people abuse them IMO.

Well...We are all entitled to our own opinion about things. All I know is what I've observed in my clown fish, and he seems very happy right where he's at. He's eating well, frolicking with the other fish in the tank, and in no way, shape, or form being abused. I take very good care of my animals .

I own two clown fish an i have watched how much both of them swim. In a 29 gallon tank thay are at one side of the tank, and then a second later they swim to the other side. In a small tank is is very possible that your clown's growth is stunted. You could put a clownfish in a 1 gallon tank and it would look "happy", they are very happy looking fish nomadder what.

coralAnn said:
Well...We are all entitled to our own opinion about things. All I know is what I've observed in my clown fish, and he seems very happy right where he's at. He's eating well, frolicking with the other fish in the tank, and in no way, shape, or form being abused. I take very good care of my animals and find it hurtful that someone would think otherwise.

But if you really cared about the animal in the first place, wouldnt you have payed attention to minimum tank size, and basically everything on here that says 20 gal minimum?

And also, you have other fish in the tank??

Mysis are raised to be food.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I own two clown fish an i have watched how much both of them swim. In a 29 gallon tank thay are at one side of the tank, and then a second later they swim to the other side. In a small tank is is very possible that your clown's growth is stunted. You could put a clownfish in a 1 gallon tank and it would look "happy", they are very happy looking fish nomadder what.

As my mother use to say, "You could be right!!!"

Gboy66 said:
But if you really cared about the animal in the first place, wouldnt you have payed attention to minimum tank size, and basically everything on here that says 20 gal minimum?

And also, you have other fish in the tank??

Mysis are raised to be food.

Number one... I'm trying to enjoy my hobby just as you are. I'm pretty new at it and will make mistakes. I'm starting small BECAUSE I'm new at it. I care for ALL my animals...not just my fish and would NEVER purposefully do ANYTHING to harm them. I thought it would be neat to belong to a forum that I could LEARN FROM and possibly help somebody due to a mistake I had made. Yes dear...I know mysis shrimp are raised to be food. Thanks!!!

Either way, this forum is great. People are here to give information and stop people before making more mistakes. When i first joined i also felt like i was being attacked and i became defensive, now i realize that what they were saying was to help me, and that those people were right. Good luck.

I know that there is more than just swimming space to consider when deciding appropriate tank sizes for a type of fish but in my 47g tank my clowns stay in a 6''x6'' area 80% of the time, they're not big swimmers.

Saratj1 said:
I know that there is more than just swimming space to consider when deciding appropriate tank sizes for a type of fish but in my 47g tank my clowns stay in a 6''x6'' area 80% of the time, they're not big swimmers.

Do you have a pair? A pair tends to do that when they have the OPTION too. Good point though. My clowns swim everywhere though

All hurtful and off topic post and statements were removed. Everyone has the ability to speak their opinion or experience. It`s up to the OP to take or leave what is expressed. Please allow others to state what they have to say.

Back
Top Bottom