Clown Hosting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are talking about a mated pair, yes. I have a pair of maroons that share a lta.

Dumb question here, If you buy to clowns, and introduce them together, is that a "mated" pair ?? or whats the special way to do this ?

That dosent mean mated pair... If you pick 2 that seem to be buddys then you have a better chance ... Look for a larger and considerably smaller one ... You will have a 50/50 shot at them pairing ... I had one that killed any new ones that I introduced... now we did get one that is a pair ...She even killed the one that I bought with her.... and a few days later she bullied the other to death .. Be prepared to remove one if it is getting bullied ..

Sadielynn said:
Look for a larger and considerably smaller one

You will have a better chance with this. But as Mrs sadielynn said nothing is for certain with clowns

If you buy them before they are sexually differentiated, they will pair up later on. This is how I got my mated pair.

If you buy them before they are sexually differentiated, they will pair up later on. This is how I got my mated pair
This is not always 100% either both of mine were small with one being smaller .....and the larger one still bullied the other to its death ... It is a help but clowns are damsels or of the damsel family and can still be agressive to their own kind .... While they are more peacefull that dosent mean that they cant stand their own ground . :mrgreen:

Ok, so lets so you get a total of three, and none of the pair with each other. Are the going to compete with eachother for the anenome?

Ok, so lets so you get a total of three, and none of the pair with each other. Are the going to compete with eachother for the anenome?
That is a very real possibility . That along with the fact that they will eventually fight till one or more dies at the fin of the more dominant fish . HTH

Well, we got one clown on Sunday, and another two yesterday. So far thye are getting along famously. We had to remove the damsel fish that were in there because they were being too aggresive, and since then everything has been nice and tranquil.

They are all pretty much the same size as of now, and the one we got on Sunday seems to be pairing up with on of the newer ones that we got yesterday.

Hopefully things will remain peaceful.

What size tank do you have them in . Chances are that in time 2 may pair but the 3rd wheel will get beaten down .

It is around 30 gallons.

I have noticed that the first one we had seems to be pairing up with one of the new ones that was purchased a couple days after the first.

The odd man out is swimming up next to the filter where the first one used to hang out. I guess that is a good spot to be.

I haven't noticed any aggresion so far, so maybe they'll live, and let live.

Not to hijack this thread, but is it normal behavior for clowns to REALLY enjoy my bubble wall? LOL One of them was running through it last night darting in and out for like an hour. He seemed to enjoy it. =P

Sadielynn said:
Chances are that in time 2 may pair but the 3rd wheel will get beaten down .
This is definitely a possiblilty. In the wild, they will have one female, one dominant male and some non dominant males. If the female dies, the dominant male will change sex and the next one on the totem pole will become the dominant male. This might be the case in your tank (I kind of doubt that), but I would definitely keep an eye out.
What kind of clowns are they? 3 of them in a 30G may cause some problems, depending on the species.

Fish Stix said:
Well, we got one clown on Sunday, and another two yesterday. So far thye are getting along famously. We had to remove the damsel fish that were in there because they were being too aggresive, and since then everything has been nice and tranquil.

They are all pretty much the same size as of now, and the one we got on Sunday seems to be pairing up with on of the newer ones that we got yesterday.

Very interesting... that is almost identical to what is happening with me - same story.

EDIT: Nevermind, Fish Stix is my bf.... duh!

FishyFamily said:
Fish Stix said:

Very interesting... that is almost identical to what is happening with me - same story.

EDIT: Nevermind, Fish Stix is my bf.... duh!
ROFLAMO I just spit coffee all over my monitor ....

That is because I'm your b/f silly...

They are Percula Clown Fish. We've had them in there togather for a week now with no signs of aggresion. They are still young though.

We're hoping that the worst case scenerio is that one ends up as a casualty, and the other pair off.

We're hoping that the worst case scenerio is that one ends up as a casualty, and the other pair off
Hopefully you can remove it before it becomes a casualty

I agree with Sadielynn, it's not a pretty site seeing fish kill each other.

Back
Top Bottom