Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

clown n' anemone

today i bought a long tentacle anemone (about 5" wide when open) from my local fish store. It seems to be doing good.

In my tank i have about 10lbs of live rock and two 13 1/2- 14 month old percula clowns (tank bred i think)

The fish will not go in or even get too close to the anemone, is there any way that i can get them to go into the anemone?

Also, recently i noticed that one of the clowns has grown noticably larger than the other, why? And they have been folowing each other all of the time, which is something that they didnt usually do, why?
55 gallon

Old 05-20-2006, 08:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not really, If they host it they will host it. The larger clown has most likely turned into a male.

Old 05-20-2006, 08:28 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

There is no guantee that the clown will host the anenomie. I have two clowns and the totally ignore my bubble tip and host a bubble coral and pagoda cup.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:42 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
The larger clown has most likely turned into a male.
no, the larger one is typically the female I believe.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
Quote:
The larger clown has most likely turned into a male.
no, the larger one is typically the female I believe.
Right, I meant to say the largest male usually goes female.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

At that age it's more just dominance. I don't believe the sex change will actually occur until later. Also I think the female has to become a male and then a female finally, with the change to female being permanent. How big are yours? I've got two baby true perculas right now (1/2") but I don't know how old they are. As for the anemone, just wait and see. Clowns can be very particular about which anemone to host in. They might just take a while getting used to it or they might just never host it at all. Do a bit more research and see what you can dig up.

Regards,
Ken
Old 05-21-2006, 06:58 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkenneth
At that age it's more just dominance. I don't believe the sex change will actually occur until later. Also I think the female has to become a male and then a female finally, with the change to female being permanent. How big are yours? I've got two baby true perculas right now (1/2") but I don't know how old they are. As for the anemone, just wait and see. Clowns can be very particular about which anemone to host in. They might just take a while getting used to it or they might just never host it at all. Do a bit more research and see what you can dig up.

Regards,
Ken
Pretty much, except all clownfish are born male. The more dominant one in the pair will turn into the female and be significantly larger and more agressive. When she dies at all, and you get another clownfish, always get a smaller one. IF a pair forms again (which is not a given) the largest male will take the female spot.

Also, yes, there is no guarantee they will host it at all. Some people never get their clowns to host anything. Mine on the other hand, will host anything I put in the tank. They current host a torch coral.

Good luck.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Pretty much, except all clownfish are born male.
Nope. "Clownfish are protandrous hermaphrodites, meaning they are hatched as sexually immature fry. Based on signals from their environment and being physically mature (12–24 months) they will either remain sexually immature, change into a male or change into a male then female."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clownfish
Old 05-21-2006, 02:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

re:

i think u guys are right about the larger clown, it is significantly larger than the other, and though they follow each other around, i have noticed that the larger one seems to control the other.

Also i am pretty sure that my clowns will eventually host the anemone because they are very, i guess i could say territorial, the best example is the first thing i added to the tank was a ceramic treasure chest that was hollow. for about 6 monthes it was entirely controlled by a peppermint shrimp and the clowns never went near it. After the clowns killed the shrimp when it was molting, they immediatly took over the treasure chest almost like a host. every time i entered the room they were both in or very close to the treasure chest and were very protective of it. when i put the anemone in my tank i decided to take out the chest and my fish did not want to leave, my fish are very very very cautious about everything that enters the tank and that was the closest that i ever got my hand to the fish. for that reason i think that there is a better chance that they will host.

also, i used to have a vibrant colorful background that was covered in anemone pictures. when i put my first clown in the tank for some reason, i dont know if it saw the anemone pic or if it was a coincidence, the clown swam very close to the anemone pic for a while until i got another clown.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

can you post a pic of the anemone. If its a Condi they will not host with it.
It can take days, weeks or months for the clowns to host thats even if they do..
A BTA might be a better

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone, clown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com