Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-21-2008, 12:42 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus
Clown Tangs

Well recently ive been pretty obsessed over my new seahorse tank(aquascaping,cycling the whole shabang) and have paid little attention to my reef tank. (that doesnt mean i have been neglectful though) and today when i went to feed them i noticed that my stock is pretty pathetic..
2 clownfish
Diamond Watchman Goby
Green Mandarin Dragonet..
so i went surfin to find something suitable and came across clown tangs. Why do most sites list them as difficult or expert only? I have a 90 gallon tank with lotsa swimmin room cuz its got a big sump attached. Liveaquaria says 150 gallons but IMO they shoot pretty high, other sites are more around 90 gallons. Would he be ok in there?

Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sorry to say but no. While tangs get larger and poop allot the problem is that the clown tang will be the devil in that 90g. Well he's a devil anyway but closed quarters will make him even more angry. Plus he can grow to over a foot or more in an aquarium.

Remember to Keep Christ First!
revhtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:31 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Tank way too small.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
They need to be in a bigger tank and stress free. They are much more finicky than your "common" tangs.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
The clown tang can easily get to 12" in length in the home aquarium and can be agressive to other tangs. I wouldn't have it in less then a 200g tank. I just bought one that is currently 2" long and it is going into my 210g tank when that is finished in a few months. They are listed as difficult to expert because they are hard to feed in the aquarium. They will graze all day long on any and all algae that is in your tank but getting them eat prepared foods can be a tough task.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

clown, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com