Clown trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ferny27

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 150 gal with 5 tangs and a bunch of corals. I just bought a clown trigger. Any advice

I have a 150 gal with 5 tangs and a bunch of corals. I just bought a clown trigger. Any advice

Take it back. Lol. Too many tangs in a 150 already and the clown trigger is the most aggressive trigger. Will eat coral and gets way way too big for a 150 gallon tank.

Triggers & reefs are not a good mix...... There are a couple of triggers that typically won't touch corals, but will tear apart any inverts in an instant. Unfortunately, the clown isn't one of them..... it'll very likely tear your whole reef apart, along with any other living thing in your tank.

The best advice you can be given is: Research the fish you want BEFORE you buy them. Makes for many less mistakes ;)

I totally agree. Its easier on everyone if you research and ask questions before the purchase, so no surprises and no returning anything.

:)

I also agree, 5 tangs in a 150g is too much already.

Ok I will return him, but my tangs are all getting along . They don't even nip at eachother . I was actually thinking of getting the clown tang

Unfortunately the Clown Tang gets very large and needs a 250 gallon tank. Also It is aggressive towards other Tangs, Surgeonfish, and fish with similar body shapes or feeding patterns. Too bad it's a great looking tang.

Yellow tang

Blue tang
Tomini tang
Purple tang
Naso tang

Yellow tang

Blue tang
Tomini tang
Purple tang
Naso tang

Naso tang, blue tang and possibly the purple are all eventually going to grow too large for the tank. What are the dimensions of your 150? And a clown tang from what I've researched needs a 300 gallon tank minimum. Also it's not all about aggression although that will come with time when the tangs get overcrowded but its also the waste and ability to filter out the waste a tang produces, especially a large tang like a hippo and naso. You're talking about a 12" regal and a 18" naso. Also clown tangs are the most aggressive tang out there.

Id say 2 of them are doable (of the ones you have) but thats strictly based on it being a 6ft tank.but you have to remember that having 2 larger tangs is going to eat up ALOT of livestock space. (you could easily house 4-5 smaller fish in place of 2 larger tangs) and they usually dont develop aggression issues until they start putting on some size, at which point the undersized tank will stress them

tomini and yellow will be the two i kept. Others need to go as they all require very large tanks when they get bigger especially if you plan to house them together

A regal tang will rarely, possibly never grow to 12 inches in an aquarium...

VinnyLLU said:

Its not just the size that matters. Tangs are one of the most active fish to keep. Therefore they need TONS of swim room

True, I also agree that 5 tangs in a 150 is pushing it. However a single regal tang can live comfortably in a 150 provided that it doesnt get bullied. The clown trigger can be a beast too in size...

I just can't stand some tang police hobbyists tell me that a blue tang can't be kept in anything under a 700 gallons...

As long as its a 6 footer i can agree lol. I dont even pay attention to them, i pay more attention to individuals. There are quite a few members on here that i hold their input up as pretty much gold.on the same note, theres members that i dont really listen to in terms of advice. For me personally, as long as im close to the min tank size, ill look into other aspects (bioload, eating habits, swimming style, etc) before i decide if i can house it or not. I really (really) wanted 3 tangs in my tank but i realize that my lieutenant tang is gonna get big so i held off.

I just can't stand some tang police hobbyists tell me that a blue tang can't be kept in anything under a 700 gallons...
No one suggested 700 gallons lol just those tangs in a 150 together at full size will not work. Sure stranger things have happened but it's a 1 in a million shot that no aggression will occur. It's not all about the tangs size as much as it is competition for territory.
My regal was over 10" before I re-homed it. They will get pretty close to 12" if properly fed and cared for. The regal wouldn't be my worry it would be the naso coming in a ~15-18"

No one on this thread suggested that...I'm just talking about some other pundits online aka tang police...they just irritate me for some reason.

I hear you I have my yellow belly regal and yellow tang in my 210 with my male blue jaw trigger. They are the life of the tank.

Attachments

• image-1955779639.jpg
    image-1955779639.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom