Clown Trigger tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

selbycups

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all;

My current setup is 120 Gallon FOWLR

I cycled my tank for 3 months before adding a clown trigger and undulated trigger. Well, the undulated only lasted a week :( My water tests come back fine according to my LFS. I noticed the clown seemed to be in 'charge'....swimming freely while the other trigger had to lurk in the rocks. Seemed like the clown was getting most of food too.

Any idea what I can keep with this guy? I dont want a 120 gallon tank with one fish!

Honestly he probably bullied the undulated. Clowns are one of the most aggressive triggers and if he is on the more aggressive side you are going to have trouble adding more fish.

Yes I am sure of that. He is so small though.....so every fish I try to add will be hit or miss?

I'd only add fish a fair bit larger than him. Clown triggers are pretty territorial and I definitely wouldn't try another trigger. Maybe try to add some other semi aggressive fish like dwarf angels or a smaller species of tang. A 120 is kinda small for a clown trigger. Right now he's fine especially if he is small but when he starts hitting the 10-12" mark he may become even more of a menace in that size tank

it would have been better to add the trigger(s) last.
How much of a size difference was there?
Undulated triggers are often the ones who systematically kill everything else in the tank but they do tend to be more shy than other trigger types.

You can have triggers together, but a rule of thumb is to not have two with the same body shape.
add fish a bit larger and re-arrange the rockwork if possible when you add new fish.

Back
Top Bottom