Clown triggerfish care?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They can get over a foot in length and are VERY powerful. Also highly intelligent and can bite! Here is a situation where the fish is maybe too smart. Unbelievably cool to watch and pretty easy to keep with lots of good food available. I wouldn't add one to a reef, but many do with no adverse effects. I think a 150 is suitable if not crowded.

A 100 to 200 gallon tank will house one for a long time 6-8 years, clown triggers are known to grow very slow, my friends had a 8yr old clown in a 125 gallon tank for its entire life. However this also depends on the level of aggressiveness that the fish has.

Saw a beautiful one today at the LFS. He spit water at me. These fish are too intelligent. My huma huma from years ago watched me like a guinea pig. I could feel his eyes on me. ;-)

I Love my clown trigger...When compared to my Humu-Humu ,,he is a fast grower...When I put him in 2 years ago ,he was tiny...my humu was already in there and bigger..My clown is now bigger than the humu...great fish,and everybody loves his polka dots:lol: ..
He's an eating machine,,3x a day ,everyday ...and always spitting sand and picking up bits of rubble and old shells (both triggers do this)

a 125 for now...
I have a 265 lined up(hopefully) ,,going to check it out in 2 weekends...
I do think 1 trigger in a 125 for many years,even life, would be OK,,but not 2. I knew i would have to upgrade ,not only for my triggers but my angel too..
Before i got my clown,i did lots of reading and a lot of people said they are down right nasty,,but so far so good..its my humu who is the nasty SOB!!

I had a Picasso and he was a mean fighting machine. I fed him bits of crab legs every now and then. You could hear him across the room. Crunching.

I had a Picasso and he was a mean fighting machine. I fed him bits of crab legs every now and then. You could hear him across the room. Crunching.
:lol:
Nice,,i toss mine a few live hermits a few times a month..I have some cool vids of mine chomping at the surface of the water and almost jumping out to get food..I love triggers ....If i get the upgrade i'm tempted to try a queen in with the other 2..:popcorn::D

People think piranha are bad boys. Triggers can really bite and are smart. I could see having a big fish only system to have stuff like triggers again. But I am not brave enough to ever add one to the reef, although there are many reports of some model citizens, mine would end up being a serial killer.

Could I add a clown trigger to my tank? I have a 150g with 110# LR and sump, skimmer, refugium with caulerpa, honeycomb grouper, porcupine puffer, blonde naso, green bird wrasse, niger trigger, snowflake eel, and yellow tang. I love these fish, and have wanted one for as long as I knew about them, can I? can I?:)

Well,its your tank and IMO its stocked pretty heavy(may be overstocked)..Theres just no telling how one would fit in that mix...i would say no,,,but hey,,people told me not to add a CT to a tank with a humu already in it...that was over 2 years ago...But you have a lot more going on in your tank than i do..I'd be worried about space and territories .

Ya thats what I thought.:( Theyre all under 6 inches exept the eel but ya, thats what I thought. What do you have in your tank?

Purple Tang
Koran Angel
Clown trigger
Humu(picasso) Trigger
Gold bar Maroon clown
6 line wrasse

I can't wait to upgrade either,,hopefully in a few weeks..At that point i will try and add 2 more fish

I know how you feel though..looks like an upgrade is in your future :lol:

Back
Top Bottom