Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edward2788

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had 2 clownfish for around 2 months and today I think the slightly bigger clownfish killed the smaller one. Can I not have 2 clownfish or if I buy another should I get a bigger one or smaller one?

Can also depend if you get two females then this may happen. We're they from the same tank in the lfs? You should buy smaller as you need a male or one that is still un sexed

Can also depend if you get two females then this may happen. We're they from the same tank in the lfs? You should buy smaller as you need a male or one that is still un sexed

Bought them at the same time and one got a bit bigger that the other

clown fish can change gender so a single pair would always be one male and one female. The only explanation I could think of would be the tank was small. What species of clownfish was it.

clown fish can change gender so a single pair would always be one male and one female. The only explanation I could think of would be the tank was small. What species of clownfish was it.

It's a 45 gallon tank and they are ocellaris clown fish. I've only had them like 2 months and were very small

To my knowledge clownfish don't change gender. They are born without gender then develop into male and female on Dominance but once male/ female they not change again. I would say in 45 unless they were bought as mated pair when bought you must have had two females

woody390 said:
To my knowledge clownfish don't change gender. They are born without gender then develop into male and female on Dominance but once male/ female they not change again.

+1. There are 3 classes of sex in clowns. Juvenile (unsexed) male, then female. Once they move up from one, they cant switch back. In the wild, depending on the number, their would be one or two females, then several males to mate with them. Alot of hobbyists have experienced problems adjusting clown pairs because they were too similar in size. This could be the issue with yours, or you somehow could have ended up with 2 females. Either way id try to get a noticeably smaller clown next time and it should fall right into place as the male

Back
Top Bottom