Clownfish Acting Strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noob Aquarist

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just bought my first two clownfish from LFS about 4 days ago. I checked my parameters before I acclimated them and water was perfect.

About two days ago one of my clowns (the smaller one) started acting really shy, swimming a little different, and not eating. (Feeding them Emerald Entre frozen food and flakes) The other clown seems to be acting normal.

Any suggestions on what to do? I really dont want to lose this guy ($25.00 !!!!!)

:thanks:

Just bought my first two clownfish from LFS about 4 days ago. I checked my parameters before I acclimated them and water was perfect.

About two days ago one of my clowns (the smaller one) started acting really shy, swimming a little different, and not eating. (Feeding them Emerald Entre frozen food and flakes) The other clown seems to be acting normal.

Any suggestions on what to do? I really dont want to lose this guy ($25.00 !!!!!)

:thanks:

How long has your tank been up?

It had cycled for about 6 weeks before I added any fish.. 20 lbs of live sand 60 lbs of dry live rock. Could it be my Phosphate levels?

It had cycled for about 6 weeks before I added any fish.. 20 lbs of live sand 60 lbs of dry live rock. Could it be my Phosphate levels?

Could be or it could be a disease or parasite from the LFS tanks. So you see any white patches or specks. If the fish is breathing heavy that would be a sign but how much surface movement do you have in the tank? Also what is your salinity and temp.

I have quite a bit of surface movement comeing from my powerhead. my temp ranges anywhere from 76 - 80 degrees my salinity is at 1.025. No spots on that fish at all... it could be stress from acclimation??? This was my first time acclimating a fish. Like a said though, the other clown is doing fine.

I have quite a bit of surface movement comeing from my powerhead. my temp ranges anywhere from 76 - 80 degrees my salinity is at 1.025. No spots on that fish at all... it could be stress from acclimation??? This was my first time acclimating a fish. Like a said though, the other clown is doing fine.

How did you acclimate them in detail and your temp should ideally only change 1-2 degrees throughout the day.

I used the bag method... Placed the bag in the water to adjust the temp of the bag water to that of the DT for 15 minutes then added 1/2 cup of DT water to the bag every four minutes until the bag was full. Emptied half of the bag water in the sink then repeated adding 1/2 cup every four minutes until the bag was full again. then netted the fish and placed in the tank.

That method should have been fine. I drip acclimate everything over a 2 hours period no matter how hardy but clowns are pretty hardy. How big are they? Many small ones in my experience don't make it.breathing heavy is probably a sick fish. If you have good surface agitation then you need to pull the fish out and QT ASAP before it affects the rest of the fish. Put it in a 10 gallon bare bottom tank with a small powerhead and treat the fish to try and save it

Poor guy got stuck in a rock and I ended up haveing to pull him out... Didn't fair too well so i had to get rid of him. Tough loss... Thanks for your help anyways!

Poor guy got stuck in a rock and I ended up haveing to pull him out... Didn't fair too well so i had to get rid of him. Tough loss... Thanks for your help anyways!

It happens. Don't get discouraged. Some fish just don't handle the stress well. Some do.

Back
Top Bottom