Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Clownfish fight!

What exactly is going on between my clown fish. I bought a pair at the LFS back in September. Up until about a week ago everything was fine. One is a bit bigger then the other and has always been the aggressor but lately it has gotten out of hand. The smaller of the two hides in a corner under a rock and only comes out when I feed but is quickly chased back into hiding by the other. Whats going on?

Old 12-24-2011, 01:16 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You need to get rid of one...thats what is going on. Two males and one got bigger than the other.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
You need to get rid of one...thats what is going on. Two males and one got bigger than the other.
fyi, clowns are hermaphrodites; therefore, if you have a pair one will be female and other male.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If they were both males, the dominant would eventually turn into the female. They were probably both juveniles back in September. Now the larger one is turning into a female. In a group, once a female is established, the next in line would become the male.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big is your tank? As long as the little one which is the male has a place to hide from the mean female until she decides that she likes him well enough to invite him into her space they should be ok.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13
How big is your tank? As long as the little one which is the male has a place to hide from the mean female until she decides that she likes him well enough to invite him into her space they should be ok.
Its a 29g biocube. The smaller of the two has his place under a rock but I'm really considering getting rid of the bigger one because I feel bad for the smaller one. he He spends the whole day under that rock.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

The bigger one is the female they are all born the same and the most aggressive and dominate will turn female. The smaller one will turn into male. I don't know what your stocking is like but the 2 clowns alone should be fine in a 29 gallon. When a clown decides to host something it will stay with it most of the day and this is NOT suggesting getting an anemone unless you are prepared to take care of it. I have a clown that decided to host some sand and the tank has a beautiful rbta in there that it doesn't go any where near it. It is just fine sleeping in the sand and hanging around all day in the little area that it has claimed as its own. It is the only clown in the tank.

If the smaller one is eating and coming out to eat then there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13
The bigger one is the female they are all born the same and the most aggressive and dominate will turn female. The smaller one will turn into male. I don't know what your stocking is like but the 2 clowns alone should be fine in a 29 gallon. When a clown decides to host something it will stay with it most of the day and this is NOT suggesting getting an anemone unless you are prepared to take care of it. I have a clown that decided to host some sand and the tank has a beautiful rbta in there that it doesn't go any where near it. It is just fine sleeping in the sand and hanging around all day in the little area that it has claimed as its own. It is the only clown in the tank.

If the smaller one is eating and coming out to eat then there shouldn't be a problem.
No they all start male and the dominant will turn female. It's just teething problems. I would not worry unless it turns particularly nasty. Give it a few weeks and they will pair.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is a good article on the sex changes of clownfish Forming pair bonds in clownfish - a knol by Anonymous
Old 12-26-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Spot on joy13

David S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, clownfish, fight

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com