Clownfish fight!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fird

Aquarium Advice Activist
What exactly is going on between my clown fish. I bought a pair at the LFS back in September. Up until about a week ago everything was fine. One is a bit bigger then the other and has always been the aggressor but lately it has gotten out of hand. The smaller of the two hides in a corner under a rock and only comes out when I feed but is quickly chased back into hiding by the other. Whats going on?

Sniperhank said:
You need to get rid of one...thats what is going on. Two males and one got bigger than the other.

fyi, clowns are hermaphrodites; therefore, if you have a pair one will be female and other male.

If they were both males, the dominant would eventually turn into the female. They were probably both juveniles back in September. Now the larger one is turning into a female. In a group, once a female is established, the next in line would become the male.

How big is your tank? As long as the little one which is the male has a place to hide from the mean female until she decides that she likes him well enough to invite him into her space they should be ok.

joy13 said:
How big is your tank? As long as the little one which is the male has a place to hide from the mean female until she decides that she likes him well enough to invite him into her space they should be ok.

Its a 29g biocube. The smaller of the two has his place under a rock but I'm really considering getting rid of the bigger one because I feel bad for the smaller one. he He spends the whole day under that rock.

The bigger one is the female they are all born the same and the most aggressive and dominate will turn female. The smaller one will turn into male. I don't know what your stocking is like but the 2 clowns alone should be fine in a 29 gallon. When a clown decides to host something it will stay with it most of the day and this is NOT suggesting getting an anemone unless you are prepared to take care of it. I have a clown that decided to host some sand and the tank has a beautiful rbta in there that it doesn't go any where near it. It is just fine sleeping in the sand and hanging around all day in the little area that it has claimed as its own. It is the only clown in the tank.

If the smaller one is eating and coming out to eat then there shouldn't be a problem.

joy13 said:
The bigger one is the female they are all born the same and the most aggressive and dominate will turn female. The smaller one will turn into male. I don't know what your stocking is like but the 2 clowns alone should be fine in a 29 gallon. When a clown decides to host something it will stay with it most of the day and this is NOT suggesting getting an anemone unless you are prepared to take care of it. I have a clown that decided to host some sand and the tank has a beautiful rbta in there that it doesn't go any where near it. It is just fine sleeping in the sand and hanging around all day in the little area that it has claimed as its own. It is the only clown in the tank.

If the smaller one is eating and coming out to eat then there shouldn't be a problem.

No they all start male and the dominant will turn female. It's just teething problems. I would not worry unless it turns particularly nasty. Give it a few weeks and they will pair.

So my clown was murdered last night. Any suggestions as what I should do with the remaining one? A cruel and unusual punishment is the first thing that came to mind.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111227_135601.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111227_135601.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 85
...you do realize they're fish, right? Punishing the other clown for being a fish - an aggressive fish, as clowns are damsels - is not the choice that many others here would make.

Don't rule out the fact that the smaller one was sick anyway. I've had experience with a pair for 3 years. When one got sick, the other would harass the other to no end. Took the smaller one/harasee (new word) out and treated it. When it was well, I returned it to the main and the larger one ran to great it and they were fine for the next 4 years. Not unusual to have a fish know another is sick LONG before you know.

Do not punish the remaining fish!! She was just doing what fish do. Try a new, much smaller mate.

Back
Top Bottom