Clownfish..help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandensg01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So we have a 45gallon tank set up with fish and live rock only.The first fish we introduced in the tank is the pair of clown fish .We did wait until all the nitrate's, nitrite's,PH and amonia was all at 0. We introduced a damsel into the tank which was okay at first but one of the clown fish become a little weak and we are guessing the damsel began to nip at it due to the small tears in the back fin.We did divide the weak clown fish away so it could heal but now both of our clown fish are becoming weak and swimming either on the bottom or top.But definitely not the way they should be. We did find our ph levels spiked to 8.8.We addressed that issue and have it down to 8.4 but they are still swimming slow and weak.Does anyone have advice on what to do or what could be going on to make them swim this way?:fish2::thanks:

They could be just resting and getting their strength back, clownfish are very hardy and I'm sure your's will be fine! :)

How did you cycle your tank and when? How long have the fish been in the tank? Did you slowly adjust the pH and what did you use to get it lower?

That'll help everyone to help you. :)

We set our tank up and let it cycle with just the live sand,live rock and water for a month.Then we added the clown fish.I used a powder that you predissovle that lowers PH levels to 8.2.It did work..i did 2 water changes a few days apart and it is now at 8.2.My fish seem to be swimming a little more better.

sounds like your tank hasn't cycled if you didn't add an ammonia source,whats all your water readings now?

to cycle a tank you must put an ammonia source into the tank,something like a dead fresh shrimp,let it decompose this will then raise the ammonia level.Remove the remains of the shrimp.Keep testing the tank water for Amm and Nitrite.
The trites wil start to raise and the amm will start to drop.
then start testing for Nitrates as well.once the amm is zero,nitrites are zero but nitrates have a reading of lets say 20-40 do a 20-30% water change(saltwater)
and then you are ready to add fish to the tank.
As you already have fish in there if you can take them back and cycle your tank or test for all Amm,trites and trates everyday and keep doing water changes to keep the amm and nitrites low to help the fish.This way will take a lot longer and more expensive to cycle your tank.

if he cycled with rock that could also have been the ammonia source since he has 20 nitrates right now

the trates are probably there from the fish.the tank was left with LR and nothing else for a month,I doubt it cycled
I would keep doing pwc and keep testing for amm,trites and trates.

Last edited:
IMO the tank was cycled with the addition of the LR. The failure to feed the bacteria for a month is what 'de-cycled' the tank. The bacteria dies because they were not fed.

Without fish you needed to add a small amount of fish food, direct ammonia or some other source. You've gone and murdered your bacteria man! The humanity...

I thought getting all your levels low or at 0 is the goal..ammonia is bad for fish!
yes it is bad for the fish but you start a cycle with an ammonia source without fish in the tank,once the cycled has finished the beneficial bacteria which has populated the tank because of the cycle can then do its job of keeping ammonia and trite levels zero.Then you add the stock.

Back
Top Bottom