Clownfish help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minkin

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just bought 2 ocellaris clowns, acclimatized them and put them in the tank. The small one is fine swimming etc. The big one is swimming frantically very fast and coming to the top of the tank and poking its head out of the water.

It is not stopping, it is constantly swimming very fast and darting very quickly.

Can anyone help?

With clowns... You shouldn't worry unless they're not eating and all. When I first got mine, it swam in place frantically for like a week and then it got used to the tank! Don't worry, clowns are known for their weird behavior.

Swimming frantically how? Straight line darting or in frantic circular motions? Big difference

It darts in like straight lines.

Imagine like a zig-zag line, sometimes it goes in them kind of directions and similar. Like forward fast then turns then darts off again in real quick succession.

He has calmed down a little since about an hour ago when I put him in.

Ok good. Glad to hear because non step circular rapid frantic swimming is sign of overwhelming stress known as the circle of death

Try turning your lights off for an hour to give him complete darkness to calm down

Yes I dimmed the lights really low when I put him in, but then because he was going abit crazy I turned them off completely.

My 2 chromis go straight into the rocks when the lights go off. My 2 new clowns are still out in the bottom corner now.

Do clownfish stay swimming all night or do they go into the rocks to sleep?

My clown sleeps in the back corner face down almost in the sand. Never in the rocks where everyone else sleeps.

your clowns will pick a spot in the tank that they feel safe mine hosted the very corner of the tank and slept but while moving mine never stoped swimming weather awake or asleep hope this helps good luck

I got a picture of them this morning.

The one that was going crazy was the biggest one, above his friend.

He has calmed down now and is doing good, eating etc.

Attachments

• image-708082584.jpg
    image-708082584.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 102
Yeah I know haha but I just call them by male names for some reason lol

Back
Top Bottom