Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2016, 01:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Clownfish hosting...

The heater... I guess this is where they decided to host? lol

At first I thought maybe it was to cold on other side of tank but no the temperature is fine on both sides. Sometimes they will swim to other side but always end up back near the heater.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1473788553329.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	289280   Click image for larger version

Name:	1473788568891.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	289281  

Old 09-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #2

Also could anyone tell me if this is normal clown behavior? I have never seen the rapid fin movements at the end until today.

[flash=]

Old 09-14-2016, 05:42 AM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It isn't normal behavior. There is poor CO2 exchange in the water column. You need more flow. Point the powerhead up towards the surface to get yourself a nice 'ripple' going, that way you can get the CO2 out and oxygen in.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:44 AM   #4

Ok will do, thanks for the info sniper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 09-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the O2 isn't the issue, another possibility is that there is not enough places at the bottom of the tank for your clowns to feel secure and safe. Clownfish hide in Anemones for security. That's their mindset. I've kept many clowns happy with no anemones because I gave them plenty of places to hide in along side being in with fishes that don't make them feel threatened. You may need to do the same.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
If the O2 isn't the issue, another possibility is that there is not enough places at the bottom of the tank for your clowns to feel secure and safe. Clownfish hide in Anemones for security. That's their mindset. I've kept many clowns happy with no anemones because I gave them plenty of places to hide in along side being in with fishes that don't make them feel threatened. You may need to do the same.
When putting the live rock in I tried to make some caves out of them.
I have never seen them actually go in them though so what might you suggest for hiding spots?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1473536038365.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	289294  
Old 09-14-2016, 05:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebbedFishToes View Post
When putting the live rock in I tried to make some caves out of them.
I have never seen them actually go in them though so what might you suggest for hiding spots?
IMO, the tank is too bare and that may be the way the clowns feel too. HOWEVER, the O2 situation should be the first thing you try to solve before decor. That just might be the problem here and the rest is moot.

As for possible other decorations, there are synthetic anemones that you can buy which may help their psychy (if you can't do live anemones) as well as types of artificial plants you can put into the tank to make the bottom more appealing. As for the caves, they are not really "cave" dwellers so you would be better served to put a back to the cave so that nothing can get them from behind. Just a little indentation for them to get in to may be all they are looking for.

Here's a pic of one of my old tanks. It's a 75 gal ( which I think is a bit bigger than your tank?) but you should get the concept. The thing to know is that by decorating this tank the way I did, many of the fish that are known "scaredy cats" and like to hide, are visable all day long because they have the security to go to if they get scared. This pic was taken just about 10 minutes before "light's out" so many of the fish were already in bed but there are actually over 20 fish in the tank including Angels, Butterflies, Tangs, Gobies, Blennies, Sweetlips and Clownfish. 10 minutes later, not 1 fish was visable.
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Andy Sager's Album: Clownfish - Picture

The area where the clowns are ( which was being blocked by the Majestic Angel ) is actually a piece that had some fire coral in the back and 2 types of mounding corals on the sides and a hollowed out center making it look like a baseball mitt. The clowns would sleep in there while the other fish went behind the decorations. Keep in mind, because of all the decor, I did need to put 2 power heads in the tank to make sure I had adequit circulation through the decorations.

Hope this helps
Old 09-14-2016, 07:14 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

After looking at your full tank shot, with no powerheads this is totally an oxygen deprivation issue. Need much stronger flow. You want to aim for 10-50x turnover of the entire water column.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Wow your tank looks amazing . Salt water tanks are my specialty .
Old 09-15-2016, 02:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
After looking at your full tank shot, with no powerheads this is totally an oxygen deprivation issue. Need much stronger flow. You want to aim for 10-50x turnover of the entire water column.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
That pick is from when I first got the clowns. I got a power head a few days ago shortly after getting them. It's a jebao rw-15 but like you guessed I did not have it facing up. I had it facing straight so the flow was barely shifting the surface. I will post a video of the current positioning and how much flow it's giving to the surface when I get off work.

Tags
clown, clownfish, fish, sting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com