Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I have a tomato clown that I`ve had 10 yrs now that keeps getting darker almost black and then goes back to orange and then dark again. I wish I could tell you why but I cant.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
I'll let the experts weigh in on this, but maybe you had a true perc and they're maturing? I hear the black 'spreads' when they get older.. some tend to look almost exact to false percs when 'babies'

75 Gallon Saltwater Reef

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
My clowns have hosted with a rock covered with yellow zoas. I came downstairs one morning and saw them laying on the rock - thought they were dead....but they were just sleeping. They have been doing this for 9 months now.
Sir Ottis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:59 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thankx for the clownies/input !! It puts to rest a few things which I'd heard from uneducated folks.
Especially thankx to you Melosu...since my start with this project and this chatroom you have'nt missed a lick and I want you to know that Harry appreciates it volumes
Harry Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:06 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sounds normal to me too. Nuthing to worry about
Free Fish Facts
stevekellner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had many fish over the past 10 years, but NEVER have I had any that laid down to sleep!
I introduced a pair of clowns last week, and yesterday I thought they had expired, when I went to feed them on my way out the door to work. It was still dark, and I hadn't turned on any lights yet, when I found both clowns lying in divits aling the side glass of the aquarium! When I went to net my pets (AND my money) out to the trash, they woke up, asked for breakfast, and all is well!
I imediately started searching the web for answers, which brought me to you fine folks....and the rest, as they say, is history!
Fish in beds......go figger!
swaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
After O. Clowns or True Percs pair up and are actually paired they can and will get black markings along their spine. It is normal and nothing to worry about. I have 2 pairs of clowns and they both show signs of this darkening.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

angel, clown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com