Clowns chasing new fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knuckles23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I just added the final fish to my tank. It is a bi color blenny. Black with yellow tail. Heres whats already in there: 2 clowns, neon goby, firefish, and watchman goby. Clowns basicall just live in and around the anemone. added the bi color blenny (pretty sure thats what it is). HE has been hiding. THe clowns have been seeking him out, and chasing him. Last night, they had im in the corner, and he was snapping back at them. Will they eventually get along? Was this a bad move? The tank was very happy, until i made this move. I know the clowns are territorial, nipping at my hand when in the tank. Any help?

What size tank? Clowns are damsels and will act like them...

29 gallon, I was under the impressoin this would work out..

I'm no expert by any means, but to me it appears a bit overstocked. What type of clowns are they? I've seen some huge Maroons and Tomatos. Even the smaller clowns get a lot bigger than most people see. I hope I'm totally wrong and this just passes though. Keep us updated? :)

Hopefully they will get along. During times of aggression I would turn off the lights and move some rock around. Worked for me.

yeah it might be that he is going into the clownfish's territory, so moving rock around messes up the territories and causes them to not be territorial.
did you research if they were compatible before you bought the fish?

That's just how clowns are. They are very territorial when in pairs. I had a pair of black ocellaris clowns that attacked my hand, too. Maybe you could put the clowns in a temporary QT tank for about a week or two and rearrange the rocks. While the clowns are in QT if you want to add any more livestock, I suggest it would be advantageous to do so while the clowns are out of the picture.

Back
Top Bottom