Clowns found some hosts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeremyz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I feel super bad because the Feather Dusters are stressed out (obviously) but my Clowns are hosting two of them. I guess I need to speed up my search for a bubble tip

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 301
You don't need a bta for them to host... move the feather dusters and put a ceramic pot down..

That is pretty cool to see. I can't even take a picture of mine hosting. They always run and hide when the camera comes out.

Yep,they will host anything,mine have hosted: HA,rock,powerhead,heater,Nem and now a terracotta pot for breeding.

I dont currently have any SW tanks, just fresh water.. but maybe some day I will. This may be a dumb question, but what does it mean when clowns "host" ?

I dont currently have any SW tanks, just fresh water.. but maybe some day I will. This may be a dumb question, but what does it mean when clowns "host" ?

Hosting is when (usually) an anemone allows the fish to live on it like a home. As stated in the thread though, clown fish are not super picky and will host almost anything!

I'm not new to saltwater.... don't know a lot... but not new. Can anyone explain the ceramic/terracotta pot breeding thing? I just set up a new aquarium in hopes of a breeding pair of clowns. I put a damsel in today (after cycling it with sand & liverock from my old aquarium AND the dead shrimp/piece of fish routine). I have one small oscellaris clown that is quickly outgrowing a 2 gallon Fluval and plan to put him and a new clown in it in a few days/week. Should I put the 2 in at the same time? Do they need to be the same size? Any ideas on the ceramic/terracotta pot thing & anything else would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not new to saltwater.... don't know a lot... but not new. Can anyone explain the ceramic/terracotta pot breeding thing? I just set up a new aquarium in hopes of a breeding pair of clowns. I put a damsel in today (after cycling it with sand & liverock from my old aquarium AND the dead shrimp/piece of fish routine). I have one small oscellaris clown that is quickly outgrowing a 2 gallon Fluval and plan to put him and a new clown in it in a few days/week. Should I put the 2 in at the same time? Do they need to be the same size? Any ideas on the ceramic/terracotta pot thing & anything else would be greatly appreciated.

I would personally introduce them at the same time. If it all possible try and get the new fish a little bigger than you currently have. Clowns are hermaphrodites and the larger one will have a greater chance of turning into a female (they are the larger and more aggressive of the species). The terracotta pot deal is in hopes that they will host it and lay the eggs there. Anybody with a little more knowledge please correct me if I am wrong as I will be doing the same shortly. :)

I would personally introduce them at the same time. If it all possible try and get the new fish a little bigger than you currently have. Clowns are hermaphrodites and the larger one will have a greater chance of turning into a female (they are the larger and more aggressive of the species). The terracotta pot deal is in hopes that they will host it and lay the eggs there. Anybody with a little more knowledge please correct me if I am wrong as I will be doing the same shortly. :)
Have a look in my thread regarding this.
subscribed.gif
Clownfish fry setup

Back
Top Bottom