Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Community Angelfish?

I have a 29 gal saltwater tank-so far just a tomato clown. I really want to add an angelfish next, but are there angelfish that'll work in a community tank? Somewhere down the line, I'd like to add tang and maybe other clownfish.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay the Best angelfish you could add is the flame angel. It says it is reef safe, but thats not always true. If you get that angel you can probably keep 4-5 fish max in that tank. There is no tang that can be put in a 29 g. The smallest tabk size for a tang is 100 gallons

Old 02-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
Okay the Best angelfish you could add is the flame angel. It says it is reef safe, but thats not always true. If you get that angel you can probably keep 4-5 fish max in that tank. There is no tang that can be put in a 29 g. The smallest tabk size for a tang is 100 gallons
Curious what your basis is for this statement. There are many members of the genus Centropyge (dwarf angelfish), and many that are similar to the flame in terms of adult size, feeding habits, temperament, etc. No dwarf angel should be considered reef safe IMO.

Also, I really prefer to not look at stocking as a matter of how many fish you can cram into a tank, but instead think about temperament, behavior, feeding habits, etc.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The flame angel is one of the most common angel fish you can find at your local fish store, but there are other dwarf angels that would work such as the bicolor angel. The flame was just the easiest and most common IMO.

Also, the 4-5 fish max was an estimate assuming that they are compatible.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't plan to cram my tank-I'm just thinking about what I want it to look like when it's all said and done. What is this about the tang though? 100 gal, really?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
It's not the gallons, it's the swimming room. Tangs are big swimmers, not to mention many of them get 14" or more.
Dwarf angels can be territorial. Especially in a small tank.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

That's too bad, they're beautiful fish. Should I be worried about my tomato clown? Besides when I drop food in, he seems to stay stationary most of the day.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:04 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would highly recommend the coral beauty angel or the flame angel. Both behave fairly similar and are likely not to disturb your clown. Besides, your clown will be more than likely to defend itself especially if it has established its territory. I have a coral beauty and 2 ocellaris clowns and even though they are smaller than my angel, they definitely show it who's boss. Keep in mind only one dwarf angel should be held in your tank as they can become very aggressive towards each other in a 29.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:01 AM   #10
Fish R friends, not food!

I have a pygmy angel (cherub angel) in my 29g reef. He is "reef with caution". He has been in the tank 5 days and no indication of reef danger. He is also quite beautiful and active.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angel, angelfish, community

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com