Compatability question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ctmadden

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my first post and I have a bundle of questions lol. I live in Florida, I own a 75g that has been running for about 24 hours now, I just transferred everything from a 55g. I have about 150 lbs of live rock and about 75 lbs of live sand and small crushed coral. The tank is a little cloudy, which I anticipated, but clearing up quickly. I have a tomini tang, 12 inch banded shark, cleaner shrimp, serpent star, horseshoe crab, and some snails and crabs that I transferred from my previous 55g. Is there any special treatment I should approach to avoid any problems in the near future?

Now, here is where all my questions come into play. I wanted to stock the tank with:

Queen angel
Yellow tang
Blue face
Harlequin tusk
Naso
Zebra Eel
Red coris Wrasse
Clown trigger
Niger trigger

I'm concerned with the triggers, because I've heard they have a tendency to nip at other tank mates from time to time. Along with what I already have, is there any problems with the selection?

Hi welcome to the forum!

I'm kinda hoping youre not serious about that list. Not one fish should be in a 75g tank in my opinion.

You've already got quite large fish, that tang is one of the few that should go in a 75g but the shark, well I think they require a bigger tank too but I could be wrong.

Wise move in asking first, alot of people don't and then find out they have to rehome their fish which stinks.

Good luck

Banded sharks need HUGE tanks. Like, 180 gallons. There simply is no true shark that is really suited for an average home reef tank.
You should probably look into selling the shark to someone who can provide it the room it needs to grow.

Well, I'm certainly glad I asked first. I'm new to the hobby, so all advice is useful.

So what would be some ideal fish to put in my 75g?

I agree with Carey also. If you look online, most of those fish require a minimum of 150g. Most of them like to have a lot of swimming room. If you go bigger in the future, I have a Niger and Pinktail Trigger together and have had no problems.

I don't plan on having any coral, so it's fish only.

I would look on sites like liveaquaria.com. Look up the fish you are interested in. They are pretty good about giving tank and water requirements, as well as, care level. There are others like bluezooaquatics.com as well.

Yep, just look at the fish on one of those sites and you'll soon get an idea of what you should and should not consider. SW is all about research and patience. :)

Since youre doing fish only how about a pygmy angel? i would say youre good with tangs so no more of those. :)

i just started stocking my 90g and I went with a butterfly, flame hawk, two wrasses, a squirrel fish and a bream. I plan on one tang in my tank as well just hasnt come into stock yet. lol

I picked some non traditional fish based on what looked cool and would be compatible. Lots of research though, took months to come up with a stocklist that worked.

Let us know what your ideas are. :)

Good luck

Like Sean said, liveaquaria has a lot of good info on it. And they allow you to filter your search results/categories by minimum tank size. So, just select a minimum tank size and it'll remove anything that won't do well in that size or smaller. Very useful, not having to sort through fish that needs hundreds of gallons.
Also, I like not saying "OOH! PRETTY! Must have... awww...."

Back
Top Bottom