Compatibility experience - Adding bi-colour angel and clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,

I currently have:
1 x Perc clown (3 years)
1 x Orange tail damsel
1 x Brown scopas tang

I'd like to add a perc clown and a bi-colour angel. The current clown I think was the female. She was with another clown and she grew far larger than the other one (they started the same size). They stayed together and didn't fight so I think they were paired.

I'm thinking of getting a small perc so that it remains a male.

I'd also like to add a small bi-colour angel.

My concern is likely aggression, pretty much from all three.

It's a 55G tank, live rock with a few corilamorphs.

You could add 1 or the other, but I wouldnt add both. You already have a tang that will reach almost 12" and should be in a bigger tank than the 55. If you were to add a fish the small clown would be a better choice, getting the tang a new home would be the right one.

You see the problem with the tang is that I get conflicting opinions. So far the fish seems happy. It was happy enough to fight off whitespot on its own, it grazes and eats, and swins really fast around the tank at times.

My concern is the damsel's aggressiveness towards the new clown. I'm wondering about the tang having a go at the new clown too.

Of course the tang is going to eat and swim its a fish :p

I added tangs after clowns and had no problems so far. The reason you would get aggression is due to a crowded tank IMO.

But really, even if you dont get the tang a larger home...doesnt mean it is happy in the 55...its just living.

It must he hard to measure happiness of a fish.

Take it FWIW I guess, Im just making a suggestion for you fish to live a healthier life.

So far the fish seems happy
So far being the right phrase. It's going to out grow the tank, sooner rather than later if well cared for. Adding the angel will only add to the problem. The tang will have to compete for swimming room w/ another fairly large fish in a tank already smaller than recommended. I'm not sure about aggression between the damsel and the clown. If you do add a clown, adding a very small perc would be best to ensure it is immature or male. More than likely the clown you currently have is female as you said. HTH and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom