Compatibility of adding another perc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,

My tank currently has one perc clown, one orange tail damsel and one scopas tang.

I'd like to add another perc but am concerned about the tang and damsel being too agressive. The clown is OK and not too agressive. The damsel has an attitude and goes about as if he owns the place and the tang seems to just move about with confidence but doesn't attack anyone.

I know it's a "maybe, maybe not" question but experiences would be good.

I don't think its necessarily the tang & the damsel you have to worry about (although they are still a threat), but its the other clownfish itself. You should try to purchase one that is smaller than the one you already have now, and add him with the lights off.

Obviously, though...this is a "maybe, maybe not" question :). I haven't had any experience personally, but I am sure others will be along to help.

BTW, its suggested that scopas be housed in a minimum of 70gal, so that may also add to some aggression he may show.

IMO and IME you need to make sure the new clown is either much smaller or much bigger. If they are approximately the same size then they will fight.

I'd imagine much bigger would be better because I'd suspect the damsel would have a go at the smaller one..?

Not sure the size of your fish currently but the adult size will be around 18" and with a 36" long tank (47 gal) I wouldn't add any more fish until you upgrade IMO.

melosu58 said:
IMO and IME you need to make sure the new clown is either much smaller or much bigger. If they are approximately the same size then they will fight.

To elaborate on melosu58's good info, if the clown you have now is fairly large it is probably female so you would need to find a juvi if at all possible or you could be stuck with 2 females because males can turn female but females cannot turn into males, and juvis can become male or female, so you gotta be a bit careful or they won't pair up.

Back
Top Bottom