Compatible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffer_king77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon corner tank with 2 other fishes in it which are
- dwarf lion fish
- eel
What other fish ??? would be good with them they are not aggressive

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yup, fully stocked with a dwarf and an eel - technically you could do a couple of small fish but they would eat them...

2 lion fish your fully stocked

Yup, fully stocked with a dwarf and an eel - technically you could do a couple of small fish but they would eat them...

:confused:
according to who/what?
please don't say aqua advisor or live aquaria.com.

OP, what type of eel and what type of dwarf lion?
Some dwarfs stay relatively small.
I'm 100% certain that if you know what you are doing, you can add more livestock.
A trigger, small grouper, another dwarf lion would all be candidates.

one + with these type of critters is you really only need to feed them once a week so that helps with water quality.

I'm not aware of any trigger that would be able to live a healthy and long life in a 55. They simply get too big and are 100+ gallon tank fish.
Dwarf lions, like the fuzzy for example that doesn't get larger than 7 inches, might stay small, but if you have two on top of an eel you will run into parameter issues without some heavy water changes or skimming.

I'm not aware of any trigger that would be able to live a healthy and long life in a 55. They simply get too big and are 100+ gallon tank fish.
Dwarf lions, like the fuzzy for example that doesn't get larger than 7 inches, might stay small, but if you have two on top of an eel you will run into parameter issues without some heavy water changes or skimming.

I guess I'm spoiled because I have always had means to re-house fish when needed, so I tend to be more forgiving when it comes to stock selections.

as far as water parameters are concerned, that is why I stated "if you know what you are doing" and that the full on carnivores like lions, eels, groupers, etc., can easily get by with being fed only once a week-10 days.
also bear in mind that those critters are much less susceptible to issues with nitrate than are corals and inverts. I fear far too often folks chase numbers that for all intents and purposes are very difficult to achieve unless you either have very, very minimal stock or essentially starve your animals.

It also depends on what the person desires for display aesthetics. If they want a specimen tank, then that size would be fine for a pair of dwarf lions and an eel or three, but it would require diligent maintenance practices on the part of the hobbyist.
If they desire something more "natural" then of course you want smaller fish that do not look out of place relative to the tank/décor.

I just figure the only tank mates for these guys are larger fish (ones they won't fit in their mouths) and a 55g is not big enough for groupers/triggers...

Compatible ???

I was thinking something like a Flame Angel or a Hawk...something not too big that does not add so much to the bio load. I think that a Trigger, and especially a Grouper, would be poor choices in a 55g.

Back
Top Bottom