Concrete tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55g but I want to build a concrete tank that is going to be about 8ft long by 3ft wide. A friend of mine told me that i could build a concrete tank with a glass front but line the bottom and the sides with pond liner. Has anyone out there done that before. I guess the pond liner is to stop the water from leaking through the concrete.

thats an interesting idea... but that tank would be heavy as sin. would u be putting it into a wall or something? i guess a liner would work *shrug* but id be wary about chemicals in the concrete leaching into the tank.

I will be putting it into a wall and I will be lining the concrete with a soft barrier both at the top and bottom to ensure that the lining doesn't break.

Yeah. I wish you the best of luck, but this seems like a disaster in waiting.

I'd be worried about both leakage from the liner and the weight of the tank. 8 ft by 3 ft. and to be strong enough to support all the weight of the water, sand, rocks, etc. will need to be quite thick I'd imagine, and quite heavy... I would custom build a glass tank using steel supports or something before I went and used concrete, but that's just my opinion.

Yeah I agree. It seems very much overkill and lends itself to problems and to be very inflexible. At least with a steel frame and glass tank you can move it around.

I am doing it because glass is so expensive where I live. I saw a similar setup at the zoo only difference is that they had piranhas in the tank. The tank will be heavy as it will be a concrete tank but it is a concrete tank attached to a wall in my house.

You'd be better off in purchasing a fiberglass tank, which would insulate better, is lighter, and more cost efficient. Zoos have concrete because usually they are older aquariums and aren't given a choice of materials to work with and concrete is cheaper for them to build.

a LFS has a 1200 gallon tank made form cynderblocks and concrete. it has 2 nurse sharks and a 5-6 foot green moray eel in it. they have lining like u discribed and have had it up and running for about 8 years with no problems. so if u think u can do it i say go for it.

pinkie said:
Why not just use plywood instead of concrete? It's cheap and far easier to work with.
How would plywood work wouldn't the plywood rot????

You can check out this website and it will give you plans for building a plywood/glass or a plywood/acrylic tank. For your 8' x 3' tank you cant go taller then 24" for glass or 30" for acrylic.

http://www.garf.org/

On the left side menu go to:How To-Pages and the aquarium construction and tips. Enter in the dimensions of the tank and it will give you a materials list and directions

mike3epanda said:
pinda said:
pinkie said:
Why not just use plywood instead of concrete? It's cheap and far easier to work with.
How would plywood work wouldn't the plywood rot????
i thought u said u would put a cover to it anyways
Yes I would thank you so much for your suggestion I believe this would be the best way.

YOu know ive considered something similar. When I build my house (Years away) why not just dig out another room while digging the basement. This "other room" could be sealed off and used as a HUGE tank!!!! Prolly just a dream and will most likely never happen.... But I always figured if I did, Id go to the aquarium and ask about how they did it. Bass Pro shops also have those huge tanks. Essentially that is the same thing I am wanting to do. Heck, even the mall in in my midwest town has a 12hx15wx15d wall tank (my estimates)

Ive always wanted an aquarium that I need snorkel gear to clean!!!

my LFS has a 40,000 gallon salt water tank, appears to be 2 inch thick acrylic front, and I would think cement walls. Very awesome tank, atleast 12 feet deep water, it not closer to 20...If you can dream it, it can be done...

I don't know how well this would work, but why not get an old chest freezer, clean it up real nice on the inside, cut the front of it, then use glass to cover the hole, then make a tank out of it?

Maybe it's just me, but I've always had it in my head that picking up an old chest freezer, cleaning it out, and doing some minor modifications would make for a pretty sweet tank.

Back
Top Bottom