condy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbrock

Aquarium Advice Activist
im thining about getting a condy anemone and i have a few questions. i know these arnt supposed to host clowns, but ive read that some clowns will host them, does anyone have a condy that hosts clownfish? the main reason i want one is because they are the cheapest ones and i just want to make sure i can keep an anemone alive before i get a more expensive one. i have also read about condies beating up on or even eating small fish, what are the chances of that happening? TIA

Ok, first you need to have an established tank with the proper lighting.

How long has your tank been set up?
What type of lighting do you have?

I have a condy, and it has been home to 2 different typs of damsels and 2 different typs of clownfish. It is now the residence of one Mr. Tomato Clown, and he hates to have visitors over! :D

I have had no prob with it trying to eat fish.

Also please don't get one just because it is cheap, make sure you can keep it alive first. Not trying to be hard, just watching out for our little aquatic friends... :wink:

I've had my tank for 4 months now, but im going to wait a while to get the anemone. i have 2x65w bulbs over 36gal, which is almost 4 watts/gallon. i know that cutting it close, will it be enough? I plan on being able to keep it alive, otherwise i wouldnt get it no matter how much it cost. all my parameters have been stable for a while now. i have two clownfish and a damsel. How long have you had your condy?

Good to hear! Just making sure.... :D

I have had my condy about 8 months. I would say that you are borderline with the lighting, but you could do it, with a mature system. Also it would benefit from the occasional feeding. :wink:

my condy seems to like to get near the filter and get stuck. does yours do the same?

A freind told me that to keep an anemone i needed to have a certain amount of calcium in my tank, is tthis true? i just started using araga milk, will tht supply enough calcium?

tbrock, someone pointed me to the "the best anemone thread" it is quite informative, basically the thread says that anemones don't really need light as long as you feed them, or you can flood them with light and you can lack feeding....

i dunno what point im trying to get at here, but just stating that it is an informative thread :)

-thane

thanks for the thread, i read it earlier. it was helpful, but i dont remember seeing anything about adding calcium. anyone know about this?

I have a purple condy that has hosted 2 clowns.

I also had one that I had to return as it ate 3 fish - I think this was somewhat unusual .

If and when you get one , make sure that it has good color and is nice and sticky. Larger anemones have a higher survival rate. Unlike fish, you want to buy the anemone as soon as it gets to the LFS as there is less time for it to decline in an underlit tank.

Cover any intakes with a filter sponge as the condy will walk around a bit.

A filter sponge? is there a special kind of sponge to cover filters with?

No - these are the rectangular sponges that go into some of the power filters. I take them and cut and "X" on the end down into the sponge deeply enough to fit over the intake.

im not sure get what your saying. Do you just cut out a peice and cover the intake with it? sorry im a little slow today

Think BoyScouts and snakebite. Place the sponge so that it is standing on its end and make an X-shaped incision down into the sponge that is the same in depth as the intake is tall. Stretch it out and pull it over the intake.

oh ok i get it now, thanks for the advice. What about calcium? i add aragamilk but dont know if thats enough, what do you think?

Back
Top Bottom