Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-06-2003, 03:03 AM   #1
Condy and Reef assistance.. ???Maybe Bad LFS advice???

Now since I have returned from the LFS.. The sold me 2 tank raised False Percula Clownfish along with 2 neat looking Condylactis that are white with purple tips... They said that they would do well in my tank.. The clowns I am not worried about however the Condi's I am When doing research on them it seems as though they are not really reef compatible... From what I read it says with caution.. Has anyone had luck with these in a reef??? I wouldnt really consider my tank a full blown reef as of yet... But it soon will be over time... I have enclosed a pic of my tank.. Please advise should I take the Condi's back tomorrow??? Or should it do ok.. I dont want it hurting anything else in the tank... or suffering itself.. The only thing that I have in the tank as of right now is a few hitchhiker crabs, 2 percula clownfish, 2 astrea snails, a pencil urchin, 2 Condylactis, and a mantis shrimp that I am currently trying to catch.. BTW this is a 55gal tank.. If I should take these back... One of them has taken to a piece of my LR in one of the holes there.. what would be the best way to get him out??? I have 330watts of PC lighting so the lighting requirements are definetly there..

Ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5.0
pH 8.2
salinity 1.024
temp 80f

Old 09-06-2003, 09:52 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Is that a photo of your 55 gal? Your profile says its got 45lbs of LR in it. That rock must be dense cause it dont look like 45lbs worth at all.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I agree. That looks like < 20 lbs. But, IMHO if you are going to have success with an anemome, then the condy is your best chance. It bothers me that they are white, though, because it seems like there should be more color due the the zooanthellae (misspelled every time ) IMO you need about 40lb more of LR.
kidafius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 01:15 PM   #4
That is 45lbs of LR.. Its the florida Keys liverocks.com rock.. I know I thought I was going to have more than that as well but It is supposed to be 45 lbs.... I plan on adding more LR gonna be ordering another 45lb box from liverocks.com I like the Life on the rock and they are great ppl to deal with.. I have decided that if my LFS lets me take the condys back I am going to.. After some later and long research I just dont think that in the long run they are going to do well In this tank. And in my 29gal there is most certinly not enough lighting 1 no 20watt daylight bulb.. lol Just a FOWLR tank.. Already spent 400.00 on the 55gal light setup...

BTW my tank had a 2 day cycle time when adding that LR.. It has of course been up and running for a month 2 make sure but I put the LR and LS in and it spiked the amonia to .25 and nitrite spiked to .2 and then all levels back to 0 in 2 days later..

Any good corals that are reasonably inexpensive that one might recommend that my Clownfish my take up hosting in?...

Thx Again,

lfs, reef, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com