condy anemone fails the darwin test...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ineubis

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I was the owner of a hand-me-down condy anemone.

I got him from a friend, that was tired of dealing with him, and figured, "hey, I have the room, sock it to me!"

Had him for 6 days, til I get home last night, and the whole thing (minus about 50% of his stump body) is sucked up into my filter intake.

I quickly unplug my filter, and detach the part he was stuck in, and try to wave it around in the water, and see if he comes free.

Nope.

I gently try to pry him out, but can't get a good grip because he's slimey. Tried pushing his arms through the filter slots from the inside no luck.

Spent about 30 mins total trying to dislodge a crippled invert from my filter with no luck.

So, there's nothing left for me to do that put him out of his misery (assuming he's still alive...no part of him at all is moving).

So I pulled him off of there (leaving some parts of him inside the tube), and flushed him. :(

I tell my friend I got him from about it, and he says "what a moron! he did the same thing in my tank...that's why I gave him away.."

Greeeaaat...

Anyone else ever have an anemone sucked up by their filter?

I would feel pity for it, but he's the one that actually crawled over there, and got stuck...in two seperate aquariums...

Survival of the fittest for the win!

Condy Anemone for the loss!

i'm not very experienced, but i had an anemone die in my tank. i didn't have the right kinds of lights, but that's not the point. anyways, when i first got him, the next morning when i got up, same thing happened. i spent about 15 to 20 minutes trying to get him off the intake. i actually still had parts of him stuck in the filter for about a week or two. i didn't actually grab him, but i had to take a net and kind of scrape him off the intake. he scared me, i thought that he was dead, but after a couple of hours, he was up and moving around again like nothing ever happened. that sucks that you flushed him, but i guess he wasn't the "fittest."

well, I considered leaving the piece of filter in the tank, in hopes that he would dislodge himself, but that would have left my filter intake open, and it could suck up a fish or something.

He might have been alive, but they have no central nervous system, so he went quick and painless.

It is important to have sponges on all intakes whenever you have anemone in the tank. They roam, this is what happens when you arent prepared for it.

Back
Top Bottom