Confused !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squidward

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now i have a 36 bow front fowlr. I just bought a 75 a couple days ago i have asked if it was ok to jus mix the 40 gl for the 75 and add the existing water in the 36 and just add it to the 75 . I was told i can do that and move over my filter without haveing to re cycle my tank . The point is that i go to the lfs and he tells me i have to do the whole cycle over

Newtothis said:
I thought since my tank was cycled already i can jus add the new sand and new 40 gl along with my existing water

The bacteria created from the cycle isn't in the water, it's on the glass and surfaces

Newtothis said:
The 35-40lbs of lr wouldnt b enough

As stated you are going to need more rock, atleast 1 pound per gallon, 2 pounds if possible.

Yea i plan i haveing the other 40 lbs when im ready to do the move whenever that is i
Have ppl telling me i can jus do the move jus make sure i have more lr

I just went through this moving my 35 gallon tank to my new 65 gallon, I just started with all new sand and water, through in 80 lbs of cured rock and let it cycle. It took 12 days (I added supplemental bacteria) and once it was safe I moved all the rock and livestock from the 35 over, I acclimated them like new fish. Just mixing up the difference in water and moving everything is risky, why not cycle the new tank and just continue running the old, I kept the old tank going to use as a QT.

Well, the beneficial bacteria is on the sand, rocks and glass. Mostly in the filter though. The water doesn't have any beneficial bacteria from cycling and wouldn't make a difference if added to a new tank.

Thank you all for the advise. I went to a lfs that deals with mostly sw fish and they had told me it ahould really matter as long as i dont have anything delicate in there such as coral

Join a local reef club and get someone to take your fish while your tank stabilizes

Back
Top Bottom