Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
The crab and snail thing is usually a case of crab needing a new home so it kills for it. At least that's my opinion. As for the main problem of having fish die I'm at a loss theirs so many different reasons, some nobody even knows about, and it sounds like your doing everything properly. Sorry for not being able to help
I just came across this about the hermits so I ordered some empty shells.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Crabs kill snails out of sheer instinct. I've seen hermits kill 3 or 4 snails a day and change shells that many times. It's not just because they are outgrowing shells.

What shop was the rock in? If you are referring to your LFS, I would not count on that being cured. Stores get in new rock and place it in the same holding tanks as the old rock that's been there a while. This raises the ammonia level in the holding tank, which now needs to be cycled once again.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Since you have no ammonia with your test and you have had the tank since December, did you cycle the tank? What is your PH levels? I think I killed my two clowns when I started by chasing the PH and trying to buffer it. Like someone else said if you have a killer in there you would have some damage to the dead livestock. Good luck
Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The rock was cured. I got it from one of the only good lfs around they stopped selling sw 2 Mons ago so the rock has been curring for some time before that. We got a discount and had baby jacks we got credit for so we got a good deal on rock. We want to get a couple more pounds should we? We decided we like the hermits better than the snails so no more snails :-( we have 3 huge ones I think they will be ok.

Nope no ammonia. I am now currently testing twice daily at lights on lights off. And if everything looks good we are going to get a clown that's been at the store for a little bit. Maybe like 2 weeks or so I plan on waiting is that a good time to try again? I don't chase the ph. It stays pretty steady I use sea water from PETCO.I'll get exact number when I get home. Also my tank temp is 78-79 is that to hot?

We are also trying to keep notes on everything water levels details on tank, live stock, wc, and such find this helpful. We are also goin to start writing which stores we get what from trying make this an organized project.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, 78-79 is perfect.
If you are absolutely sure the rock is cured you can add it to the tank. I would bring a bucket and transport it from the store to your house fully submerged in salt water to limit die-off.
Do yourself a favor and test the water in the rock tank at the lfs for ammonia.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
No, 78-79 is perfect.
If you are absolutely sure the rock is cured you can add it to the tank. I would bring a bucket and transport it from the store to your house fully submerged in salt water to limit die-off.
Do yourself a favor and test the water in the rock tank at the lfs for ammonia.
This might sound weird but when we do eventually get another clown I think I'm also going to be testing the water they are coming from. (As my son says just because I feel better don't mean I'm better just BC their tanks are clean don't mean there's no danger. He's a nut that has taken over my hobby lol he hears us talk and take bits of wat we say to make his own.

Oh and Mr x a nurse from chip sent this to my son as a feel better gift.(she also sent 2 white tip hermits glad we choose hermits sorry for the glass my son won't let me do it n he's been in bed a couple days. (Thank god the water is to heavy for him or he wouldn't let me do wc lol)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130202_111234.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	149243
Old 02-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool. Saw them on your ID thread. Nice blastos.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you. We don't seem to have a problem with corals and inverts. (My son talks to this nurse on my fb and told her about our fish passing so in her note with the package said got you guys a coral frag was going to get a fire fish like lil man wanted but wanted hold that off till you figured everything out but I still wanna get him the fire fish)
Old 02-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I never have much luck with those fire fish. They always die on me.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What kind/brand is best food for salt water fish?

Tags
deaths, eat, fish death

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com