Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2013, 04:38 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you sure your waters fine, all the algae on the glass suggests that there may be high nitrates or something?

Old 02-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No I was told the algea was from my son leaving lights on for 10-12 hrs a day because I asked the good ifs to cheek my water when I returned the dead cromis. And they use some kite that cost 20$ each test and well I can't afford that test but it matched my api n red sea. and my sons not doing to well so I can't break his heart and tell him he can only watch his fish 6 hrs a day. Am I hurting the fish by allowing him to have the light on so long. Also wouldn't my shrimp be effected by high trates? From what I know shrimp are super sensetive that's why I'm lost my ifs is lost.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
10-12 hours a day is not too long. How long is the sun up out at the reef?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
10-12 hours a day is not too long. How long is the sun up out at the reef?
I thought this two but had to ask the reef is huge and our cube is a pea compared to the reef. But just asked to make sure.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
As long as your water quality is ok, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

I could be mistaken, but this kinda sounds like Marine Velvet, which would not affect any snails, crabs or coral. It only affects fish. Do you quarantine before putting the fish into your display tank?
Old 02-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkota View Post
I could be mistaken, but this kinda sounds like Marine Velvet, which would not affect any snails, crabs or coral. It only affects fish. Do you quarantine before putting the fish into your display tank?
I don't believe this is what's wrong. The fish showed no signs of stress or breathing issues but I will research it more to make sure. I do have a quarantine but neither sets got quarantined. As first set was first things in tank, ans second set I know should have because of the corals and shrimp but didn't. I'm going to read more on the marine velvet.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

In case this is it, how is it treated I've only ever read it to be treated with cooper and I can't do this with the inverts.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkota View Post
I think you are right. we were up all night with my son and he was just watching his tank, around 1 am we noticed little white spots by 2 am the fish looked like his skin was peeling off and than he just started like gasping so I put an air stone in and some sentry mardel ( followed doesing for reef tank for the corals n inverts safety) is this only treatable with cooper. If there's no fish in the tank will it die off? We are going to remove the cromis and put him in Q tank (its only 10g but will have to do him to get better) should I put a com of my hermits in the q tank to eat left over food?

The q tank is 10g fully cycled (sponge filter I keep in chamber 2 of DT just in case we needed it.) Bare bottom 2 smaller pieces of PVC pipe so that the fish has a place to hide feel safe. As soon as I noticed this this morning we did a 20% change on the q tank added sponge filter and my hubby went and got a bottle of right start just to add some Bactria to the q tank. Now for wc with the q tank I should do every day right? And test water 2 or 3 times daily?
Old 02-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbaygurl78745 View Post
I think you are right. we were up all night with my son and he was just watching his tank, around 1 am we noticed little white spots by 2 am the fish looked like his skin was peeling off and than he just started like gasping so I put an air stone in and some sentry mardel ( followed doesing for reef tank for the corals n inverts safety) is this only treatable with cooper. If there's no fish in the tank will it die off? We are going to remove the cromis and put him in Q tank (its only 10g but will have to do him to get better) should I put a com of my hermits in the q tank to eat left over food?

The q tank is 10g fully cycled (sponge filter I keep in chamber 2 of DT just in case we needed it.) Bare bottom 2 smaller pieces of PVC pipe so that the fish has a place to hide feel safe. As soon as I noticed this this morning we did a 20% change on the q tank added sponge filter and my hubby went and got a bottle of right start just to add some Bactria to the q tank. Now for wc with the q tank I should do every day right? And test water 2 or 3 times daily?
First off, you should not treat your "Display Tank" if that is what you did when you said "so I put an air stone in and some sentry mardel ( followed doesing for reef tank for the corals n inverts safety)". The only treatment I am aware of is Copper, and it MUST be a medicinal level (with an air stone) for the entire treatment period, if you do a water change you need to check you copper level and get it back up to a medicinal level. Then, you should continue the quarantine for another 30 days to ensure there are no more parasites/disease. You should only put the fish in the QT and leave the Display Tank "Fallow" for at least 90 Days shrimp, crabs, snails and corals can stay in the display tank. another thing to remember is to NOT use the same equipment for both tanks without sterilizing it first, for example, if you use a net or sponge for your QT and then use it for your display tank you could possibly cross contaminate, you don’t want the disease to get into the display tank, and cross contamination is another way it can get into your display tank.

Also, if this in fact has infected your tank, Marine Velvet has a very high mortality rate and usually by the time you see the symptoms it is too late to save the fish. with a 10G tank I would check parameters often. and yes you want bare bottom with PVC for hiding structure, remember no carbon while treating with Copper.

Tags
deaths, eat, fish death

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com