Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Activist

+1 to Todd

Old 02-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
I don't honestly know if everyone else has different, ineffective bacteria.
Yes you do. Unless of course you believe that no one has kept a successful salt water tank until Dr. Tim's came out.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've always thought that his point was that some other bottled bacteria companies were not using the "right" bacteria for saltwater. Not that a properly cycled tank would not end up with the same type of bacteria that he uses. Almost like he was saying they use bacteria for freshwater and that would be ineffective for saltwater. Letting it occur and multiply naturally just takes much longer. It's been over a year since I watched the interview in their site, so I might be forgetting his exact statements.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I thought it was hilarious at the time, reminds me of you types and I'm now part of the hobby so I mock myself... But a 20-something tall tattooed guy at my lfs heard that I had ordered dr Tim's one and only and he busted out a 30-day graph of his tanks params using the product, initial spike and flatline for next 30 days. It convinced me 100% to use the dr Tim's.
No, I don't have the dude's graph but I'm positive he showed a bunch of people on the Internet already. He looked like somebody who enjoys being RIGHT about stuff. Ah-hem.

Sorry- didn't expect this to run off-topic OP
Old 02-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its ok. We got the 15g up and going with dr tims gunna let it run till Monday than he'll be hopefully able to go and pick out his own clowns but if his fever still above 104 the clowns will have to brought to him. I bought a new gravel vac for this tank and such.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbaygurl78745 View Post
Its ok. We got the 15g up and going with dr tims gunna let it run till Monday than he'll be hopefully able to go and pick out his own clowns but if his fever still above 104 the clowns will have to brought to him. I bought a new gravel vac for this tank and such.
What is the ammonia source? If you put dr Tim's in the tank it will need to have ammonia to kick start the cycle so put a fish in right away, get a loaner sailfin Molly until the cycle is complete. Literally took a day and a half for my ammonia and nitrite to get down to 0.0, so use any old fish and swap it for the clown, or a few drops of ammonia if you got it
Old 02-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

But it has to be the right kind of ammonia.

Dr Tim's does sell something that goes with the One & Only to feed the bacteria, i believe.

In all honesty, I think the clowns will be just fine. I did my cycle with two Chromis and both are still fine ( even with MV in my tank that has killed other fish...but that is another story).
Old 02-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice FINatic

We got a blue cromis to get it going.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:02 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Why can't you just pour in some ammonia?
Old 02-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry to hear about your fish troubles. I would find someone with an established tank and get some live rock off them to setup your 2nd tank. It will already be cycled and if it is a well established tank without additions for a quite a while then you know it is velvet/parasite free. I would also check local forums or Craigslist for fish. Again if someone has had them for a year they are probably parasite free. It is not a foolproof way of preventing parasites/disease but I think it is a better option than using a fish store and cycle products. Stores in my area are infested with ich.

Very sorry to hear about your son and to see the thread derailed into how/what to cycle. Good luck with the hobby.

Tags
deaths, eat, fish death

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com