Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

confused - fish deaths

Ok so we have 28 nano cube we had 2 clowns that passed away. Don't know why. They where fine that night than turned lights out next morning dead, so after triple make sure our water was ok we got two green n blue cromis and my hubby brought home a black n white striped demsel, in the tank we also have a harlequin shrimp and a cleaner shrimp ( had them with the clowns) all weekend we left the monlights on at night, well last night my son was running a fever and the light was bothering him, so we shut them off. We woke up to a dead cromis and a mia demsel. The shrimp are fine acting normal the torch coral is fine and open. I test the water 3 times a day everything is where it should be. Do we have some kinda murderous hitch hiker that onle comes out in complete dark. Every body eats fine. The shrimp act as tho there nothing goin so I really have faith its not some thing we are doing or not doing. We do between 6-10g water change a week.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

if it was a murderous hitch hiker i would imagine they would be eating the fish not just killing for the sake of killing as not many creatures do that. how long did the clowns last in the tank were they about 3 days too or longer? how long have you had the tanks et up for?

Old 01-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are your parameters testing at, how long has the tank been running for, and when did it complete it's cycle?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Definitely not a hitch hiker, or the shrimp would be dead as well, and the fish would be chewed on.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Maybe a prob with acclimating??how long did you have the clowns?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

We had the clowns from the 26th of dec - roughly the 12th jan. When I accumalated the clowns I put them in tank to float for about 45 mins to get temp match than emptied the bag into a 5g bucket and every half he added a half cup of my water till water had tripled than got them out using a cup (told this was better than a net) this is how I was told to do. Than with the cromis and demsel did the same only used a air line for a drip. (Did same thing with my shrimp n they are ok. The cleaner shrimp just molted for the second time. But our harlequin hasn't molted yet do they molt? )

I set up the tank in Dec for my son who has brain cancer. I used filter media (2 sponges) from a Welly established tank. Used live reef sand ( was also pose help with the cycle) tested tested everything was fine when my son got released on the 26 we let him pick two clowns on our way home. Knowing it might mini cycle I tested daily and did water changes. Never had a spike or any thing. And with the cromise n demsel I tested 3 times daily. We still have one cromis and he seems to be fine.(but than again so were the others) the shrimp are good and eating. Every body is fine. Although I did wake up to a hermits legs all over (hermit fight maybe idk) I got all scarlet reef hermits and red legged hermits' one of the ones I got tho are a darker color and kinda a lil bigger (he robbed a snail of his shell and I caught him chipping at the purple caroline just now I think I'm going to pull him)

My readings as of 6 this morning where
Ammo-0
Trites-0
Trates -10-20 (I think its a little off BC I have a red sea test that reads between 0-10)
Phospate -0
All where don't API salt water master kit and API reef master kit, with the exception of also red sea trates.

Edit the vivid reds were in from the 26th of Dec till Jan 19-20
Old 01-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I'd rather have the live crab than some coralline algae. Crabs kill snails. It's what they do.

How much rock is in the tank? Was that uncured rock from a LFS?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I'd rather have the live crab than some coralline algae. Crabs kill snails. It's what they do.

How much rock is in the tank? Was that uncured rock from a LFS?
It was cured its been in the shop a while, and there's about 22lbs of live rock. And 30lbs live sand.

I didnt think hermit crabs ate snails. Everyone recomened getting snails and hermit for cuc.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not a certainty but happens a lot!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

The crab and snail thing is usually a case of crab needing a new home so it kills for it. At least that's my opinion. As for the main problem of having fish die I'm at a loss theirs so many different reasons, some nobody even knows about, and it sounds like your doing everything properly. Sorry for not being able to help

Tags
deaths, eat, fish death

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com