confused: iodide levels, cleaner shrimp, emerald crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emceeee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I live in San Diego, right on the bay, so it's fit
Before I get started, want to say I read all posts and did research on Iodide, Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, and Emerald Crabs.
My emerald crab died a few weeks ago. She was doing very well and eating constantly and all of a sudden just died, although she never molted. I have two Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp and was advised by LFS to add iodide, which I did, following instructions on bottle. They stopped molting after I started adding iodide.
I bought a SeaChem iodide testing kit, and, although it is hard to interpret, it appeared to show iodide levels that were too high, so I added some declorinator, which is what the test kit suggests.
I wonder if the iodide might have killed the crab. I would like to get another one, but not until I understand what most likely killed the crab. She was not fully grown, so she didn't die of old age. My other water parameters (nitrates, PH, ammonia, nitrites) are all good. In the meantime, I've stopped adding the Iodide.
Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

Well, you learned one very important rule...Never add anything to your tank that you can't test for first.
Sorry about your crab.

PWC`s will make sure you have the proper amount of iodine in your tank. IMO unless you have a tank full of crabs then you dont need an iodine supplement. Sorry about your crab.

One thing you have to consider is what type of salt mix your using for your tank. If your using a higher quality mix like Reef Crystals, then dosing is not needed. Your PWC will refresh your iodide levels for your crunchy inverts. I use Reef Crystals and my cleaners have molted quite a few times already and my bigger emerald crab is getting ready to molt.
If your not sure about your salt mix's iodide, whip up a batch and run a test. If the test comes out at a good level then your set. If not, you may want to consider switching salt brands.

There is an article I have a link to (at home... not with me!) from a well-respected reef chemistry guru that basically says never to dose iodidie... never. If I remember correctly, his take was that even if you're testing, the test kits are not accurate enough to keep iodide levels in a safe zone. Even if you think you're OK, you might not be. I'll post a link unless later today, unless someone beats me to it!

As others have mentioned, unless you have a tank that is stocked with tons of something (SPS coral, shrimp, crab...), and you're doing water changes at least every couple weeks, your salt mix should give you everything you need without dosing.

Back
Top Bottom