Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2004, 11:48 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I have 130 gallons and I like to change out about 10 gallons a week. The tank is going on four months old. I have about 15 corals (all frags and infants), one fish, and quite a few inverts. Things seem to be going well. I am not too certain how long I should be doing such large changes, but as I progress I will likely lessen the ammount of changes but not the frequency. Its all so new to me still that I enjoy my sunday routine of sucking 10 from the sump and pouring 10 more in.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 12:28 PM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I am not sure what spending 500 dollars on fish after two weeks of have a tank setup has to do with water changes, but it certainly is a mistake. This hobby is definatly for the patient.

Old 03-11-2004, 12:49 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I am not sure what spending 500 dollars on fish after two weeks of have a tank setup has to do with water changes, but it certainly is a mistake. This hobby is definatly for the patient.
i was commenting on how we all do things differently. and what factors may apply. someone made a comment on how some people cant keep a goldfish alive while others do absolutely nothing to a reef tank and have success. and i mentioned on how luck may prevail in some instances. for example i was lucky enough to not have 500$ to spend on fish at one time. if so i would be in the same situation as my buddy.
why can some not do water changes while others need to? could it be because one adds trace elements or not? who knows? i dont know. it could be many different variables. but i think that science will someday figure it out. and we can help.
we do things like change water sometimes because of habit though it may not be needed. if somethings working why fix it right? so we continue to do what we do. i know that what i am doing is working so i will not change and risk loosing it all.

but it would be great to know for sure what the correct way is. an absolute. there should be one. and most of us are hoovering around it.

i would think that the people that do least and get the best results are the ones that are closest.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 12:58 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK, I have a question for those of you actually doing water changes. When you conduct water changes you siphon the substrate to remove debris or do you just siphon it out and replace with new?

The reason I ask is I have been siphoning substrate(habit from FW days), but when only doing 5-10g at a time that is not a lot of volume to do a real good job. Additionally, with all the rock work is difficult to reach certain areas.

Thoughts?

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 01:09 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I shut the system down, wait for sump to fill up. Fill two 5 gallon buckets from the sump, replace, kick the system on and im done in about 10 minutes. I don't vaccum my DSB

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:10 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by afilter
OK, I have a question for those of you actually doing water changes. When you conduct water changes you siphon the substrate to remove debris or do you just siphon it out and replace with new?

The reason I ask is I have been siphoning substrate(habit from FW days), but when only doing 5-10g at a time that is not a lot of volume to do a real good job. Additionally, with all the rock work is difficult to reach certain areas.

Thoughts?
What type of substrate do you have? If it is sand I would not siphon it. You could be release nitrates into you water, not to mention you are siphoning out all the benificial denitrifing bacteria that lives in you sand. I never do anything to my sand bed.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:12 PM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Let me also add, by saying I don't do water changes, I am not discouraging others from doing them. In fact, I think it is a must to do a 10% weekly change on any tank that is less than 2 years old.

Just wanted to reiterate this.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:43 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a crushed coral substrate. So, it sounds like I do not need to worry as much about siphoning substrate during water changes. Just get the noticable stuff and add new water?

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:49 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

Siphoning crushed coral is fine.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:09 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Quote:

Let me also add, by saying I don't do water changes, I am not discouraging others from doing them. In fact, I think it is a must to do a 10% weekly change on any tank that is less than 2 years old.

Just wanted to reiterate this.
missed that. that is a very good point.

is there any evidence that you know of to back this up?

trust me there is nothing i would like more than to reduce the amount of work needed.

sorry if i got a few people riled up over my buddy and his 500$. that wasnt my intention.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com