Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2004, 02:44 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Contriversial subject

I only do water changes about once every 3 months. I did not start doing this until my tank was about 2 years old and was very stable. So far I have not seen any ill effects. Infact, my coralline growth has more than doubled! I cannot explain it. Lets hear everyones thoughts on this.

Old 03-10-2004, 03:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Cesspool Send a message via MSN to Cesspool
if u kno wat ure doing and can handle the problems that may or may not arise go 4 it. the way i c it if ure tank is healthy all da fishies r happy who cares??? dats my .02

Old 03-10-2004, 03:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
Translation please.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:14 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I was not asking if I should do it. I already have done it, and was curious what the comments would be.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would never risk it myself. I am a once a monther on the water changes whether the test kit shows I need it or not... For me its to hard to get a tank back to being stable after a crash. If it aint broke dont break it is my theory....
Old 03-10-2004, 03:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah if it is working for you that is great. Myself I do a weekly 10% every Sunday while I watch Football or Nascar or whatever it's just part of the rotuine now. I might even feel a little strange if I didn't. If it is working for you good luck .. me personally I would not be able to enjoy my tank if I felt that I wasn't doing all I could to keep my animals healthy and I would just feel like that would be asking for trouble. But if it is working for you great

Doan
Old 03-10-2004, 04:04 PM   #7

I do mine changes every other week and I would feel strange if i didn't.. Gives me a chance to make sure everything is running at peak performance. Thats not to say its not possible for tanks to go longer without changes. Heck, I know a guy with a reef that all he does is top offs and hasn't done a change in years and he propagates the corals in it reguraly..So I assume it works for him.. But he's got a bunch of stuff piped into it too..So who knows..
Old 03-10-2004, 04:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are two main problems with NOT doing water changes...Import and export. Your corals use up the Trace elements and nutrients in the salt. If you are not doing water changes, how are they being replaced? Chems? If so, are you testing for them?

Export...Our tanks build up heavy metals that will not leave the tank through any other means than physically removing water then replacing it with new water. negelecting water changes can be a major factor in speeding OTS.

I'm not the best at keeping up with water changes, but I definitely would encourage everyone to do them on a semi weekly or monthly basis.

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 04:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

When my 90g was a true FO with a wet/dry, I only performed a 25 to 30% water change every 3.5 to 4.5 months. This went on for about 10 yrs. Since it was a FO tank, I've had my ups & downs with specimens but the levels were never so out of whack that I had to perform a water change. I did not see any significant down side to the lack of water changes, although at that time I did add weekly trace element additives. My NO3 levels were always on the low side for a FO tank. (10-15 ppm) I attribute this to the plenum that I placed under the CC about 15 yrs ago. Interesting that the NO3 levels stayed high for the first 4-5 yrs. (80-100 ppm)
The tank has since been converted to a semi-FOWLR, (kept the wet/dry running) and since I waited 15 yrs to purchase a RO-DI unit, I've changed my water changes to about 12-15% bi-weekly. I'm sure that it's just a new toy thing (RO unit), in a couple of months, I'll be back to monthly, then quarterly.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

After reading all of these threads, I am starting to realize that no two aquarist or two tanks are alike. I think that's what makes this hobby (addiction) so interesting, is that everyone can add their own little flair and it all works out for everybody. As long as nobody or fish gets hurt.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com