Conversion of a 100 Gallon FO to FOWLR - Equipment advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
P

playboy

I have a well established 100 gallon FO tank that is currently running on 2 Fluval 304's and an Emperor 400 with biowheel. I am interested in adding live rock (and possibly a few inverts) but want to clarify some issues first.

Is my current filtration adequate for my desired tank? Add more? Remove something?

I have an unused Aqua Clear 150 pro Wet/Dry filter with protein skimmer should I decide to use it. What are the benefits of adding this to this system?

If I use the wet/dry, should I leave in the bio balls or replace with live rock?

Would I benefit from live sand in this tank as well?
Thanks for the help.
Russ

Is my current filtration adequate for my desired tank? Add more? Remove something?

Depending on how much LR you are adding...you might be able to remove all the biomedia from the filters and use them strictly for water circulation. Recommended LR amount is 1.5 -2.0 lbs/gallon for adequate biological surface area. Here is the general idea...Berlin Method

I have an unused Aqua Clear 150 pro Wet/Dry filter with protein skimmer should I decide to use it. What are the benefits of adding this to this system?

Again with the LR, you may not need the biomedia in the wet/dry, but the sump portion can be used to house heaters and other auxilary equipment, like skimmers. For info on skimming...check out this post... Protien Skimming

If I use the wet/dry, should I leave in the bio balls or replace with live rock?

That is a debateable subject, unless the LR is submerged....it does little more than the bioballs.

Would I benefit from live sand in this tank as well?

IMO, every SW tank can benifit from LS, but if you add dry sand and some fresh LR...you will have LS. To increase the diversity of organisms in the sand, you can also seed the sand with a pound or two of good live sand.

Thanks for the quick response. I have a couple of follow up questions though. The first is that my Wet/Dry filter is unused and worth a fair amount of money. Would I be better off just selling it or is it important to this tank? I understand the need for a sump, but this seem s like an expensive piece to be used solely for a sump. Is there any real benefit to introducing a protein skimmer to this tank (I would like some inverts down the road).

My second issue is about yoyourdea to remove all media from my filters once the live rock is established. Is the any danger of having too much filtration on a tank? If I have a couple of fluval 304 and live rock am I going to hurt anything? Wouldn't I be better off completely removing the fluvals from the system and replacing with less expensive power heads once the rock sets up?

Thanks again for the help.
Russ

The first is that my Wet/Dry filter is unused and worth a fair amount of money. Would I be better off just selling it or is it important to this tank? I understand the need for a sump, but this seem s like an expensive piece to be used solely for a sump.

If you can return it and get your money back...you can make a sump with a plain glass tank, would be much cheaper than using a wet/dry for it.

Is there any real benefit to introducing a protein skimmer to this tank (I would like some inverts down the road).

IMO, yes. A protien skimmer is a piece of equipment I use on all my tanks. The subject of skimming is debatable, so do you need it for the health of your animals? No, provided you keep up with maintenance and regular water changes. Will it make that maintenance easier...yes.

Is the any danger of having too much filtration on a tank?

Not that I am aware of.

If I have a couple of fluval 304 and live rock am I going to hurt anything?

The fluvals will be a constant source of nitrate for the tank, this isn't as critical in a FOWLR as it is in a reef, but lower nitrates will make the tank less stressful on your fish.

Wouldn't I be better off completely removing the fluvals from the system and replacing with less expensive power heads once the rock sets up?

This is always an option, but I would think it would be cheaper to use what you already have...than to purchase more equipment. Should you decide to start another tank, you can replace the equipment with the powerheads you mention. Whether you use the filters for flow or whether you replace them with powerheads...it will work.

Back
Top Bottom