Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Doh! I forgot to post pictures, like 11 days ago lol.

Well, here's the tank

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2628332809.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	187547

The diatoms are a real pain in the butt right now.

Right now all I have in it is a longnose butterfly named Ted And a clown named Jerry lol. Later this week I'm gonna see how a few cheap corals do under the lights I have, and how See how Ted will treat them. Fingers crossed

I'm currently trying so hard to talk myself out of getting a tiny blue tang. Please help me lol.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'll help. LOL

NO tang for your 60g. lol

But seriously, you know better so just restrain yourself, I know it's hard. I felt the same way when I had my 55g and wanted a yellow tang. I waited until I got a 125g and then got my tangs. I have zero regrets waiting now that I have a few very healthy and fat tangs, I gave them the best chance for happiness by waiting.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I'll help. LOL

NO tang for your 60g. lol

But seriously, you know better so just restrain yourself, I know it's hard. I felt the same way when I had my 55g and wanted a yellow tang. I waited until I got a 125g and then got my tangs. I have zero regrets waiting now that I have a few very healthy and fat tangs, I gave them the best chance for happiness by waiting.
I totally wish I could have a bigger tank. Then there would be so many more options! I'll wait until I get a huge tank eventually lol. Those little blue tangs are so darn cute

Would even a Tomini or Kole tang be out of the question? I've read they can do okay in 4 ft tanks, but 60g is kinda on the edge.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Some people can and do put those tangs in smaller tanks, me personally, I woudnt. :-(

My tomini and blue eyed tangs are supposed to be ok in a 75g but they are some of my most active swimmers, they literally race back and forth all day. The blue eyed is in a 4 foot tank, but will be going into my upgraded tank that I just started working on.

You still have some great options for fish though, don't think a tang is end all be all and get discouraged. You could get an angel, they are just as bright yellow as a yellow tang for instance and would be fine in a 60g tank. Just explore your options.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Some people can and do put those tangs in smaller tanks, me personally, I woudnt. :-(

My tomini and blue eyed tangs are supposed to be ok in a 75g but they are some of my most active swimmers, they literally race back and forth all day. The blue eyed is in a 4 foot tank, but will be going into my upgraded tank that I just started working on.

You still have some great options for fish though, don't think a tang is end all be all and get discouraged. You could get an angel, they are just as bright yellow as a yellow tang for instance and would be fine in a 60g tank. Just explore your options.
I thought about a flame angel, but it might me iffy in a reef tank. Do you have an experience with angels in a reef?

welcome back BTW!
Old 07-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ah true, the angels can be hit or miss, very good point. Hmm Gonna check out some fish on live aquaria see what other options I can come up with.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Ah true, the angels can be hit or miss, very good point. Hmm Gonna check out some fish on live aquaria see what other options I can come up with.
Thanks!! I took a look, I was thinking maybe a couple of purple firefish and a wrasse of some sort. Firefish are kinda boring though, lol. I love the flame hawks, but I hear they eat inverts sometimes. What do you have in your 60g cube?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:37 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have a flame hawk in my 90 and he is very very cool. I think he is my favorite fish as well as my b/f's fave. I dont have any shrimp in there though so not sure how he'd do with them. :-(

I have a weird collection of fish on my 60g, mostly fish I had in my biocube before I re-did it. I have a pair of large B&W clowns, a citron goby, a mandarin, a barnacle blenny, 2 clown gobies and a firefish. The firefish isnt' really boring though, mine is pretty active in the water column.

A wrasse would be a good fish, just gotta make sure it's a reef safe one. I have a couple non reef safe wrasses in my 90g and some xenia and they havent touched it in over a year and a half. BUT they will devour any snails or hermits I put in. I put a bunch in once and it was like I rang a dinner bell,lol. they literally went to town on them the second they hit the sand.
How about a foxface or rabbit fish? Maybe a squirrel fish? I have one of those and he is definitley unique. lol
Old 07-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
I have a flame hawk in my 90 and he is very very cool. I think he is my favorite fish as well as my b/f's fave. I dont have any shrimp in there though so not sure how he'd do with them. :-(

I have a weird collection of fish on my 60g, mostly fish I had in my biocube before I re-did it. I have a pair of large B&W clowns, a citron goby, a mandarin, a barnacle blenny, 2 clown gobies and a firefish. The firefish isnt' really boring though, mine is pretty active in the water column.

A wrasse would be a good fish, just gotta make sure it's a reef safe one. I have a couple non reef safe wrasses in my 90g and some xenia and they havent touched it in over a year and a half. BUT they will devour any snails or hermits I put in. I put a bunch in once and it was like I rang a dinner bell,lol. they literally went to town on them the second they hit the sand.
How about a foxface or rabbit fish? Maybe a squirrel fish? I have one of those and he is definitley unique. lol
Yeah, they seem like really cool fish. Their red color is unbelievable.

Well, maybe I'll reconsider the firefish. I have egg crate over the tank, I'll have to see if one could fit through the holes. But I doubt it.

Lol!! Oh no!! I wouldn't want my future inverts to become dinner :p I love the foxface Idea! I didn't think of that. They say "reef safe with caution" but I know of a few people that have them in reefs and they're fine.

Soo, I think I've got this down.
1x one spot foxface
1x purple firefish
1x clown fairy wrasse
1x long nose butterfly
1x clownfish

Too much?
Thanks for your help!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I dont think that stock list looks bad at all. I have heard that all butterflys are not reef safe either, more of a hit or miss type thing.My copperband was fine with my corals but not sure about the other kinds.

Just one clown? You dont want a pair? You could for sure add another. I tend to be overly conservative with stocking usually and I think your list looks good. In fact, I would probably add a couple smaller fish as well as time goes on. Lawnmower blennies are another awesome fish, love mine. He leaves little kissie marks on the glass where he has eaten/sucked the algae from. They get along with everyone and are really quite cool. Mine loves to perch on my powerhead and just watches me when I work on the tank. Almost as cool as a hawk fish. That guy sits and watches everyone who goes near the tank. his little eyes will follow you around too when you move. he is such a character! lol

It's all about what you like and can live in that size tank along with the tankmates.

Tags
converting, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com