Converting 60 to FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
Geez, this hobby is gonna kill me financially lol

I want to convert my 60g planted tank to a FOWLR sometime maybe this summer after I finish stocking my nano cube :). I'd like to keep some non reef safe fish in here. I was thinking of a bicolor angel and (dont eat me up lol ) threadfin butterfly...possibly....eventually lol I'm open to any cool suggestions though

Okay, so Im going to just use an octopus BH1000 skimmer and probably 55 lbs of rock for filtration and My dual .T5 HO fixture for lighting-this is what I have questions on.

Would 108 watts of light be too much on this fowlr? I want to run a 10k with a actinic but don't want to deal with really bad algae right off the bat (like my nano cube- under control now though). So how can I avoid getting all kinds of algae since its a new tank? Or is it not avoidable? I don't know why I'm so nervous about algae in this setup, but I am lol. So, again, too much light? And will weekly 5-6 g water changes prevent algae?

I read other people's builds and a lot of times they never get cyano or a ton of hair algae at first and I just wonder..HOW!! lol

Okay, thank you!

Geez, this hobby is gonna kill me financially lol

I want to convert my 60g planted tank to a FOWLR sometime maybe this summer after I finish stocking my nano cube :). I'd like to keep some non reef safe fish in here. I was thinking of a bicolor angel and (dont eat me up lol ) threadfin butterfly...possibly....eventually lol I'm open to any cool suggestions though

Okay, so Im going to just use an octopus BH1000 skimmer and probably 55 lbs of rock for filtration and My dual .T5 HO fixture for lighting-this is what I have questions on.

Would 108 watts of light be too much on this fowlr? I want to run a 10k with a actinic but don't want to deal with really bad algae right off the bat (like my nano cube- under control now though). So how can I avoid getting all kinds of algae since its a new tank? Or is it not avoidable? I don't know why I'm so nervous about algae in this setup, but I am lol. So, again, too much light? And will weekly 5-6 g water changes prevent algae?

I read other people's builds and a lot of times they never get cyano or a ton of hair algae at first and I just wonder..HOW!! lol

Okay, thank you!

I don't think a butterfly will fit in this tank.
You can use any kind of lighting on a fowlr. Get some cheap leds to reduce your likelihood of algae if you're worried about it. Water changes do help to reduce algae because you are taking nutrients out of the water.

Scratch the entire thing..I'm going reef with it. Lol i plan on selling off my lights, and buying 2 of the Taotronics dimmable LEDs. Should look sick!

Any suggestions for reef safe fish? So I guess no angels now. My clown goes in first though. Then probably a royal gramma. Not sure about the rest.

Bout a year ago I said "screw it" and switched my tank to FOWLR from a reef in progress. In the process of "screw it" I went back to tap water from RO/DI, but bought a new in sump skimmer and kicked up the waterflow.

The point that I'm trying to make is that I think good water flow and a decent skimmer to pull the food and pooh out will greatly decrease the chances of ever having to go to war with algae or cyano. As a side note, I have LED's and they are fairly bright. Water changes are 10% every 6 weeks or when I remember.

I know none of this is earth shattering, but I just want to bring up some basic fundamental principles that tend to go a long way in avoiding unsightly problems-- good flow and nutrient export.

Bout a year ago I said "screw it" and switched my tank to FOWLR from a reef in progress. In the process of "screw it" I went back to tap water from RO/DI, but bought a new in sump skimmer and kicked up the waterflow.

The point that I'm trying to make is that I think good water flow and a decent skimmer to pull the food and pooh out will greatly decrease the chances of ever having to go to war with algae or cyano. As a side note, I have LED's and they are fairly bright. Water changes are 10% every 6 weeks or when I remember.

I know none of this is earth shattering, but I just want to bring up some basic fundamental principles that tend to go a long way in avoiding unsightly problems-- good flow and nutrient export.

Interesting, no issues with tap water, led lighting and water changes every 6 weeks?!

I have very good flow, didnt want to skimp on that. 2 koralia 1050s, which is just under 40x turnover per hour. Plan on 10% weekly water changes.

What I'm unsure of, is if I should bother with a gfo reactor, it's going to be a fowlr (changed my mind again lol). If not a gfo reactor, I was going to use an aquaclear with either chemi pure elite, or chemi pure elite with purigen. Thoughts?

Got everything set up now :) here's how it looks:

image-3412817128.jpg

I still need to situate some cords and get a background, but it's coming along! I'm so anxious to get fish but I gotta wait until it cycles.

Only thing left to do is buy a skimmer! But I'm broke so ill have to wait until I sell my small tank off :/

Doh! I forgot to post pictures, like 11 days ago lol.

Well, here's the tank :)

image-2628332809.jpg

The diatoms are a real pain in the butt right now.

Right now all I have in it is a longnose butterfly named Ted And a clown named Jerry lol. Later this week I'm gonna see how a few cheap corals do under the lights I have, and how See how Ted will treat them. Fingers crossed

I'm currently trying so hard to talk myself out of getting a tiny blue tang. Please help me lol.

I'll help. LOL

NO tang for your 60g. lol

But seriously, you know better so just restrain yourself, I know it's hard. I felt the same way when I had my 55g and wanted a yellow tang. I waited until I got a 125g and then got my tangs. I have zero regrets waiting now that I have a few very healthy and fat tangs, I gave them the best chance for happiness by waiting. :)

I'll help. LOL

NO tang for your 60g. lol

But seriously, you know better so just restrain yourself, I know it's hard. I felt the same way when I had my 55g and wanted a yellow tang. I waited until I got a 125g and then got my tangs. I have zero regrets waiting now that I have a few very healthy and fat tangs, I gave them the best chance for happiness by waiting. :)

I totally wish I could have a bigger tank. Then there would be so many more options! :thanks: I'll wait until I get a huge tank eventually lol. Those little blue tangs are so darn cute

Would even a Tomini or Kole tang be out of the question? I've read they can do okay in 4 ft tanks, but 60g is kinda on the edge.

Some people can and do put those tangs in smaller tanks, me personally, I woudnt. :-(

My tomini and blue eyed tangs are supposed to be ok in a 75g but they are some of my most active swimmers, they literally race back and forth all day. The blue eyed is in a 4 foot tank, but will be going into my upgraded tank that I just started working on.

You still have some great options for fish though, don't think a tang is end all be all and get discouraged. You could get an angel, they are just as bright yellow as a yellow tang for instance and would be fine in a 60g tank. Just explore your options.

Some people can and do put those tangs in smaller tanks, me personally, I woudnt. :-(

My tomini and blue eyed tangs are supposed to be ok in a 75g but they are some of my most active swimmers, they literally race back and forth all day. The blue eyed is in a 4 foot tank, but will be going into my upgraded tank that I just started working on.

You still have some great options for fish though, don't think a tang is end all be all and get discouraged. You could get an angel, they are just as bright yellow as a yellow tang for instance and would be fine in a 60g tank. Just explore your options.

I thought about a flame angel, but it might me iffy in a reef tank. Do you have an experience with angels in a reef?

welcome back BTW!

Ah true, the angels can be hit or miss, very good point. Hmm Gonna check out some fish on live aquaria see what other options I can come up with. :)

Ah true, the angels can be hit or miss, very good point. Hmm Gonna check out some fish on live aquaria see what other options I can come up with. :)

Thanks!! I took a look, I was thinking maybe a couple of purple firefish and a wrasse of some sort. Firefish are kinda boring though, lol. I love the flame hawks, but I hear they eat inverts sometimes. What do you have in your 60g cube?

I have a flame hawk in my 90 and he is very very cool. I think he is my favorite fish as well as my b/f's fave. I dont have any shrimp in there though so not sure how he'd do with them. :-(

I have a weird collection of fish on my 60g, mostly fish I had in my biocube before I re-did it. I have a pair of large B&W clowns, a citron goby, a mandarin, a barnacle blenny, 2 clown gobies and a firefish. The firefish isnt' really boring though, mine is pretty active in the water column.

A wrasse would be a good fish, just gotta make sure it's a reef safe one. I have a couple non reef safe wrasses in my 90g and some xenia and they havent touched it in over a year and a half. BUT they will devour any snails or hermits I put in. I put a bunch in once and it was like I rang a dinner bell,lol. they literally went to town on them the second they hit the sand.
How about a foxface or rabbit fish? Maybe a squirrel fish? I have one of those and he is definitley unique. lol

I have a flame hawk in my 90 and he is very very cool. I think he is my favorite fish as well as my b/f's fave. I dont have any shrimp in there though so not sure how he'd do with them. :-(

I have a weird collection of fish on my 60g, mostly fish I had in my biocube before I re-did it. I have a pair of large B&W clowns, a citron goby, a mandarin, a barnacle blenny, 2 clown gobies and a firefish. The firefish isnt' really boring though, mine is pretty active in the water column.

A wrasse would be a good fish, just gotta make sure it's a reef safe one. I have a couple non reef safe wrasses in my 90g and some xenia and they havent touched it in over a year and a half. BUT they will devour any snails or hermits I put in. I put a bunch in once and it was like I rang a dinner bell,lol. they literally went to town on them the second they hit the sand.
How about a foxface or rabbit fish? Maybe a squirrel fish? I have one of those and he is definitley unique. lol

Yeah, they seem like really cool fish. Their red color is unbelievable.

Well, maybe I'll reconsider the firefish. I have egg crate over the tank, I'll have to see if one could fit through the holes. But I doubt it.

Lol!! Oh no!! I wouldn't want my future inverts to become dinner :p I love the foxface Idea! I didn't think of that. They say "reef safe with caution" but I know of a few people that have them in reefs and they're fine.

Soo, I think I've got this down.
1x one spot foxface
1x purple firefish
1x clown fairy wrasse
1x long nose butterfly
1x clownfish

Too much?
Thanks for your help!

I dont think that stock list looks bad at all. :) I have heard that all butterflys are not reef safe either, more of a hit or miss type thing.My copperband was fine with my corals but not sure about the other kinds.

Just one clown? You dont want a pair? You could for sure add another. I tend to be overly conservative with stocking usually and I think your list looks good. In fact, I would probably add a couple smaller fish as well as time goes on. Lawnmower blennies are another awesome fish, love mine. He leaves little kissie marks on the glass where he has eaten/sucked the algae from. They get along with everyone and are really quite cool. Mine loves to perch on my powerhead and just watches me when I work on the tank. Almost as cool as a hawk fish. That guy sits and watches everyone who goes near the tank. his little eyes will follow you around too when you move. he is such a character! lol

It's all about what you like and can live in that size tank along with the tankmates. :)

Back
Top Bottom