Converting a 20gallon FW to SW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i currently have a aquaclear 30 filter. the guy at the store told me it would be just fine for saltwater as long as i add about 20 pounds of live rock.

is this true?

With 1 to 2#'s per gallon of LR, the rock will become your main filter. You don't even need the aquaclear 30 filter. What you would really need is a pump to move water around in your DT.

With 1 to 2#'s per gallon of LR, the rock will become your main filter. You don't even need the aquaclear 30 filter. What you would really need is a pump to move water around in your DT.

so like a power head?

can i still use the filter to help out... since i already have it?

Sure.. you can still use the filter. Run things like filter floss.. activated carbon.. etc.. Just make sure whatever you put in the filter is marine grade, and not just strictly for freshwater use.

And yes, a powerhead would be the way to achieve flow throughout the tank.

Is the tank a 20G high? Or 20G long?

I have the same tank. I usually recommend aiming for 20x-30x turnover per hour as it is a good starting point if you want to keep coral. I would highly recommend Hydor Koralia powerheads as they are small and compact for the most part and they push lots of water. You would be fine with two Koralia Nano's which is about 480gph combines which is 24x and that puts you in the 20x-30x range.

Back
Top Bottom