Converting FW to FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhuth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am interested in converting my 29 gallon freshwater fish tank to a FOWLR tank. I am wondering what is the absolute CHEAPEST option for doing this. I am very content housing some clowns and anenomes, and am interested most in budget-minded advice that will keep my fish healthy and happy. I have a light, filter, and the necessities for my freshwater setup. Therefore, I understand that I will need to upgrade the light (but can I just upgrade the bulb?), probably the filter, and will maybe need a skimmer. I do not intend to cut costs that will harm the fish and am basically operating on a $250 budget and want to operate within this if possible.

Thanks!
Rob

You don't need a skimmer. You will not be able to have a nem though if you don't have a reef capable lightin system. With that budget it seems that you won't be able to. You will need rock, aragonite based sand, salt mix, heater, filter, refractometer and I feel I'm forgetting something but can't remember

I have a heater and filter that handle my freshwater needs, will this not be sufficient for Saltwater?

They should be fine, I just wouldn't run the filter with a sponge as it can become a nitrate trap if not cleaned properly.

so then subtracting those from the total cost, is my $250 budget do-able?

Lets see ill give a rough estimate off the top of my head
Rock-base rock at $2 a pound=$60
Sand=$20
Salt mix=$20
Refractometer=$40-50
Rodi from lfs=$0.50/gallon=$15 to start
Powerheads=$40-50
Total=$215 w/o livestock, those are just rough numbers and I may be forgetting something

The above post looks good to me, but that puts you nearly at your budget before you've even looked at lighting. It's really difficult to do things on the cheap in this hobby - if you didn't eat to keep nems this may be doable. It's not recommended to keep anemones in the first instance anyway, so let your system mature for a year or so then upgrade the lighting then try the nems...

having a QT tank is almost a necessity. It's very important to have that setup for having a sick fish, I'd hate to lose a fish that cost $50+. And yes, a test kit, the API liquid one, dont waste money on the strips. Very inaccurate.

Id skip the api test kit and get better ones. I use red sea test kits, they are very accurate.

Lets see ill give a rough estimate off the top of my head
Rock-base rock at $2 a pound=$60
Sand=$20
Salt mix=$20
Refractometer=$40-50
Rodi from lfs=$0.50/gallon=$15 to start
Powerheads=$40-50
Total=$215 w/o livestock, those are just rough numbers and I may be forgetting something

Although I agree with this list above, you can lower the costs a bit.

Base rock can be bought as low as $1 / lb, but in the low quantity you need, it might be tough. scour craigslist perhaps.
Refractometers on eBay for around $20. But cheaper yet is a diary hydrometer. NOT the cheap plastic aquarium hydrometers that are even dangerous to fish, but a glass-bulb dairy hydrometer that are about $10 at the local beer brewing supply store.
Then start a simple Fish only tank (FOWLR) with the T8 bulbs you currently have. You cannot simply change the bulbs to T5, you have to change out the ballasts as well. But a FOWLR tank doesn't need the higher quality bulbs.
Later, as you get addicted to the hobby, you get a better lighting system to go with the 150 gal tank you end up buying. But for now you have a bit more money left over for fish.

Back
Top Bottom