Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Copepods

I figured i would start my own thread instead of thread bombing others. Backstory: I would like to get a green mandarin o0o0o0o
Current setup: 30g, 30lbs liverock, no sump/fuge, running 7-8 months
Livestock: False Percula, Psuedo, Flame Angel, Condy Anemone

So to get the mandarin i know i need copepods and i would like to start trying to sustain some growth of them, but i was curious what you guys have done to that has been successful for growth without a sump/fuge. I read somewhere about basically creating a bin of LR and growing the copepods there and letting them go out as they please so they dont get eaten too fast. Of course, this seemed too simple and what i gathered over this past year is nothing comes simple in SW. Thoughts, concerns? thanks for all your help - Pete

Old 08-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'd worry about the condy and the mandarin to begin with. The fish are very delicate and always on the move so it could easily wander into the condy.

I think you would have a hard time without a fuge or refugium to get a decent pod population to sustain a mandarin with only 30lbs of live rock.

I tried making a pod tank for my scooter when I first got him and he wouldnt eat prepared foods and it wasnt very successful. :-(
My plan was to grow them out in the 10g and move them to the cube for the scooter. I had live sand, live rock and macroalgae and added two things of pods as well as getting pods from my lfs. I saw some population but nothing like I have in my 125g with the refugium and 200lbs of live rock.

What type of tank do you have, is it a nano cube or a straight 30? I just linked some external refugiums that hang off the back of the tank, thats a definite option.

If you want the links just let me know I can link them here.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

First off thanks for an awesome response. My tank is 30 gallons with a bowed front. The anemone believe it or not is very docile he is not as much of a mover as i expected it to be and the fish tend to leave it alone + it likes to stay at a elevated part of my tank and i was under the impression that mandarins like to stay near the sand? but i would love some links for what u were telling me. I was kinda thinking of creating a small porous LR structure that i could put in my tank kinda like the "bin" idea i mentioned earlier but the hob fuge sounds cooler .
Old 08-17-2011, 01:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Here are some options

Reef Aquarium Filtration: AquaFuge External Hang-On Refugium
Filtration - Reef - Hang On Refugium with Protein Skimmer

keep in mind that you will need a small light to grow macro algae as well in any case.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree with carey a hob will be your best bet (if you cant have a under tank fuge) for groth and continues population of copepods.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would go with a HOB fuge, they can even carry good stuff that a sump would like caulerpa( u would be careful about using it as it could spread easily), live rock rubble, and live sand, it's a great place for some pods to live in.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks guys i appreciate it. I am going on vacation so this will be my project when i return
Old 08-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh btw, there is a product that is essentially Copepods in a bottle they sell it at my lfs for a few bucks and there's a few hundred/thousand in it.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I used the bottled pods when I first setup my fuge in both my cube and my 125g, figured it couldnt hurt. But to keep say a mandarin, you'd need a few bottles a week and unless youre rich it's just not worth it.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am kinda a DIY person cause its fun i was gonna use and old HOB filter but i saw this model as an inside Fuge would this work equally as well looks like alot easier to build Aquarium Refugiums: In-Tank Refugium

Tags
copepods

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com