Copepods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bootz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I figured i would start my own thread instead of thread bombing others. Backstory: I would like to get a green mandarin o0o0o0o
Current setup: 30g, 30lbs liverock, no sump/fuge, running 7-8 months
Livestock: False Percula, Psuedo, Flame Angel, Condy Anemone

So to get the mandarin i know i need copepods and i would like to start trying to sustain some growth of them, but i was curious what you guys have done to that has been successful for growth without a sump/fuge. I read somewhere about basically creating a bin of LR and growing the copepods there and letting them go out as they please so they dont get eaten too fast. Of course, this seemed too simple and what i gathered over this past year is nothing comes simple in SW. Thoughts, concerns? thanks for all your help - Pete

I'd worry about the condy and the mandarin to begin with. The fish are very delicate and always on the move so it could easily wander into the condy.

I think you would have a hard time without a fuge or refugium to get a decent pod population to sustain a mandarin with only 30lbs of live rock.

I tried making a pod tank for my scooter when I first got him and he wouldnt eat prepared foods and it wasnt very successful. :-(
My plan was to grow them out in the 10g and move them to the cube for the scooter. I had live sand, live rock and macroalgae and added two things of pods as well as getting pods from my lfs. I saw some population but nothing like I have in my 125g with the refugium and 200lbs of live rock.

What type of tank do you have, is it a nano cube or a straight 30? I just linked some external refugiums that hang off the back of the tank, thats a definite option.

If you want the links just let me know I can link them here.

First off thanks for an awesome response. My tank is 30 gallons with a bowed front. The anemone believe it or not is very docile he is not as much of a mover as i expected it to be and the fish tend to leave it alone + it likes to stay at a elevated part of my tank and i was under the impression that mandarins like to stay near the sand? but i would love some links for what u were telling me. I was kinda thinking of creating a small porous LR structure that i could put in my tank kinda like the "bin" idea i mentioned earlier but the hob fuge sounds cooler .

I agree with carey a hob will be your best bet (if you cant have a under tank fuge) for groth and continues population of copepods.

I would go with a HOB fuge, they can even carry good stuff that a sump would like caulerpa( u would be careful about using it as it could spread easily), live rock rubble, and live sand, it's a great place for some pods to live in.

thanks guys i appreciate it. I am going on vacation so this will be my project when i return :D

Oh btw, there is a product that is essentially Copepods in a bottle they sell it at my lfs for a few bucks and there's a few hundred/thousand in it.

I used the bottled pods when I first setup my fuge in both my cube and my 125g, figured it couldnt hurt. But to keep say a mandarin, you'd need a few bottles a week and unless youre rich it's just not worth it.

Yep, that is an option but keep in mind you lose some tank real estate when you add an in tank refugium. But if youre ok with that it looks like a good option especially if you can build your own!

yes i figured it would be easy since i stole some polycarbonate sheets :p and have large pieces of plastic sitting in my room just in case my tank needed it ill post some pic once i get started. Thanks for all the help :)

That Refugium looks nice, but I couldn't tell, is the top closed and holes in the sides? I couldn't tell if the top was open or not. If it is open, it won't help much if at all

Well... The plastic sheets i had at my house where not as malleable as i had hoped in fact it cracked the second i tried to cut it so i am just going to mod an old HOB filter. But my question what is the best kind of micro algae for Copepods?

I have chaeto and calupera in my 125g fuge with some live rock for the pods to hide and grow. In my cube I have just cheato for now. I use this light for my cube's fuge JBJ Nano-Glo.

A cheaper and smaller option is 10W Underwater Light.

The aquaclear 70 is a great filter to make into a fuge, search on utube for it and you can get detailed instructions on how to do it.

Update so i am already to go but my LFS does not carry copepods you guys have any suggestions for an online purchase? like what is the best company that bottles copepods?

bootz said:
Update so i am already to go but my LFS does not carry copepods you guys have any suggestions for an online purchase? like what is the best company that bottles copepods?

I suggest you use AlgaGen Reefpods Tisbe. You can order them from Aquacon.com.

Or get a bottle of arcti-pods. They are awesome my mandarin eats them and his colors are amazing

One teaspoon of arct-pods a day and also I throw in emerald entree frozen and he eats that too

Back
Top Bottom