Copepods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clownfish25

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all. My wife and I just returned from a 5 day vacation and when we made it home we saw what looks like tiny white creatures stuck to the glass of our aquarium. I believe they are copepods. If so we wanted to introduce a Manderin goby to the tank. We have a 38g with a wet/dry filter and a protien skimmer. We also have a piece of cheato we have been growing in the sump. How long should we wait to add the manderin because we seem to have a lot of pods on the glass.

Well it's hard to say if they were pods. There is so much life in the live Rock. Mostly you see copepods near the sand and rock. You have pics?

How much live rock you have? How old is the tank?

I had amphipods and copepods running about daytime on 80lbs of livestock. I was thinking of mandarin goby too. Just to illustrate the point how many pods will goby eat he just give me his . Within one week day time pods were gone and second week I couldn't even see them at night. I returned the goby to him. It's been 6 months I am still waiting for pods to grow back. :(

If you really want a mandarin look for one eating prepared food.

Thanks my two cents anyways....

Heera said:
Well it's hard to say if they were pods. There is so much life in the live Rock. Mostly you see copepods near the sand and rock. You have pics?

How much live rock you have? How old is the tank?

I had amphipods and copepods running about daytime on 80lbs of livestock. I was thinking of mandarin goby too. Just to illustrate the point how many pods will goby eat he just give me his . Within one week day time pods were gone and second week I couldn't even see them at night. I returned the goby to him. It's been 6 months I am still waiting for pods to grow back. :(

If you really want a mandarin look for one eating prepared food.

Thanks my two cents anyways....

I am at work now but I can have pics later this afternoon. I have a 38g tank with 30lbs live rock and 20 pounds live sand with cheato in my sump, The tank has been going since February 18th. Live rock is turning purple and stuff now. I was thinking of getting a mandarin this weekend. Yeh or Neh?

Marquis said:
I would advise against it

Can you elaborate? I have been reading up on copepods and mandarins and would like to know more. Thanks

Mandarin eats pods all day long. You need at least 100 pounds of live rock with sump with 30-40 lbs live rock, rubble and cheto. At least about 1 year old so pods population is flourishing.

All that will be minimum for 1 mandarin. The sump in this case will keep repopulate the main tank.

Heera said:
Mandarin eats pods all day long. You need at least 100 pounds of live rock with sump with 30-40 lbs live rock, rubble and cheto. At least about 1 year old so pods population is flourishing.

All that will be minimum for 1 mandarin. The sump in this case will keep repopulate the main tank.

seems correct to me my 70 had about that much rock but i still don't want to risk it

Back
Top Bottom