Copepods and Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Strawman

Aquarium Advice Activist
First off I know I am using the terminology incorrectly but I am usings it as the broad term(the standaard misnomer use).

I have done some research and everything I read said macro algae and detirus(spelling?) Are the primary food source. I have a fifty five gallon, with six fish and a twenty gallon sump/fuge, with cheato on the way, would this be enough to get a population started and maintain it for a scooter dragonet?

PS. If this is in the wrong place would a mod move it to the correct for me?

How much rock do you have? How long has the tank been setup for? what are the 6 fish? If you have any other pod eating fish it might be a challenge. Do you have a large population of pods currently?

70 pounds lve rock
Three pounds rubble
Tank has been up for one year+
2 clowns
Mollie
Damsel
2 neon gobys
No pods yet 1000 on order

Sounds good, like a proper enviroment for pods. :)

Kinda surprising that you don't have any now, what with your tank being up for so long. My 125g has been up only 6 months or so and it is literally teeming with them. I have a refugium though, but I' don't think I ever seeded this tank with pods.

It will take a few months to build up a good colony though so be prepared. You can't juts dump in some and they take off, it takes time.

Na. I started with base rock and only add five pounds of live. So their odds of hitch hiking are small but a star fish and red fan worms hitched a ride. Those red fans are taking over.

you still may have the pods but don't know it. they are very small and the best way to see them is to shine a flashlight down towards the substrate in the middle of the night. you should see a lot of tiny (smaller than a pencil point) things swimming around.

I had a question about pods too, figure I would throw it in here instead of starting a new thread.
Copepods are the real tiny ones right? Very hard to see...
Amphipods are the bigger ones you see running around like crazy doing back flips at night time? Rounded butts with a darker stripe down the back?
I dont think my fish eat them as they are actually starting to get big enough to molt! Theres one thats about a 1/2 big at this point, named him Frank lol
I know they are good for your system , but is there a point where they can get too big and munch on coral?

Back
Top Bottom