Copepods question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TamDuncan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We are trying to establish some trigger copepods in our 36 gallon tank (no coral). But when we placed them on the live rock we discovered the next morning they had been sucked up in the filters. Is there any way to keep them without being sucked up into the filter? We need an establish colony so we can get a Manderan.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
They can reproduce just fine in filter, just like live rock. For a mandarin, you want a large reproducing colony that can't be wiped out in a day from one, as they eat a pod every few seconds. Though they can do fine in terms of swimming room, I wouldn't suggest such a small tank for one as you would need a larger system under it for the needed pod population.

What sort of filter is it. It should be a good place for them to breed if anything?

The filter is a Marineland 200.

give your tank time they will establish overtime
if its a new tank your not ready for a mandarin
they require a well established and stable tank to survive successfully minimum of 1 year
mandarins are one of the prettiest fish but are also the most difficult fish to keep
mandarins can eat a whole population of pods within a few days
here is a very good article that will help you with what you need to know and help you understand about this beautiful fish
...I'd like to buy a Mandarin! | Melev's Reef

Thank you for the information I will read it, and yes our tank is relatively new. So I will hold of on the mandarin for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom