copper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

atomicbiscut

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello im a noob to all this. this is my 1st time posting on this forum,but ive been a reader for awhile.

ive had a couple succesful FO SW tanks and want to move into FOWLR. only problem is i have CC and copper in my tank now. ive read how to switch from CC to sand,but how(if there is a way) can i get the copper out? copper will kill the LR and LS right?

There is no way to remove the copper from the crushed coral. You are going to have to swap it out.

Welcome to AA :D

atomicbiscut said:
copper will kill the LR and LS right?
It has no affect on the bacteria within lr/ls but it's harmful to corals/mobile inverts.

As Steve said you will need to switch it out but there could still be harmful levels of copper even if you switch and keeping inverts is probably not going to be possible. You can increase your chances by using CupriSorb or Poly-Bio-Marine Poly Filter to reduce it to safer levels.

Can you buy a new tank for your fowlr?

I agree with the others. You definitely will need to remove the CC (personally, I like sand). Keep in mind, the copper gets absorbed into a lot of thing in your tank, like the sealant, tubing, filters, plastic, rock/CC.
I would get a copper test kit and see what levels you have and go from there.
If you are going FOWLR, your fish should be ok (if the levels are low enough) but as stated above, you probably won't be able to add corals or inverts.

I would say that you`ll need to start over and clean your tank out and replace with a new substrate. You`ll need to wash good as to try to lower the levels of copper.

thx for the help guys.

im gonna prolly buy a new tank then,the 1 i have is just a 46 bow. is a 90 gallon big enuff for wut i want?

LR and LS of couse
purple tang
diamond goby
flame angel
clown fish
maybe a yellow tang also??

Bigger is always better. I`m thinking everything might be OK except the tangs. The only problem is they have similar body shape and that will cause some clashing. JMO

tecwzrd said:
Welcome to AA :D

atomicbiscut said:
copper will kill the LR and LS right?
It has no affect on the bacteria within lr/ls but it's harmful to corals/mobile inverts.

so if i have LS and have copper will it still be live or will it kill it?

thx for all the help guys.

atomicbiscut said:
so if i have LS and have copper will it still be live or will it kill it?
Keep in mind "live" means it has the nitrifying bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrItes to nitrAtes.
So to answer your question, no, it will not kill the beneficial bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom